Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Considering new iMac purchase

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512MB Mojave 10.14.3
    Hi Nick. Physical Memory 8.00GB, Memory Used 5.70GB, Cached Files 1.76GB, Swap Used 0 bytes. The coloured bar is green. Jeff.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512MB Mojave 10.14.3
    Hi Nick. Physical Memory 8.00GB, Memory Used 5.70GB, Cached Files 1.76GB, Swap Used 0 bytes. The coloured Memory Pressure Bar is green. Jeff.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    "Green" memory pressure sounds good. As far as a new iMac purchase. If the memory pressure on your current 2012 iMac is "green" (and green most of the time when you randomly check)...I would say more RAM could be crossed off the list of reasons to get a new iMac.

And if your 2012 iMac seems acceptably faster after the tweaks you made...this 2012 iMac would seem to have some life left in it...and not exactly ready for the "Old Computer Home" quite yet!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Kent, WA (about 25 miles south of Seattle); up in "God's Country"
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2012 Running OS 10.14.3; Mid 2017 MacBook Air running OS 10.14.3
    Hi JeffL,

Glad you are "running" faster. Onyx is an excellent product, and has been around for a number of years. And yes, an SSD would also boost your speed. I have found that Samsung SSDs are the best, and I have 4 of them: one inside my late 2012 Mac Mini, and 3 external ones.

As for adware/malware/virus detection, while Malwarebyes is good, I actually have no reason to have it installed on either of my Macs all the time. I just download and run it occasionally. But an excellent program is ClamXAV, available from here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

There have been times where ClamXAV finds nefarious things that are missed by Malwarebytes. I have subsequently purchased it.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 27" (10.14.4), 2015 MBPr, (10.14.4), iPhone 6 (12.2).
    just a quick caveat

I was running a late 2012 iMac and experiencing slow downs. It already had 16GB of RAM and I regularly ran Onyx. I moved everything over to an external SSD which did improve things - for a while.

But at the end of the day the CPU was throttling performance so I bought a new iMac.

It now runs infinitely faster (the new processors are I believe a major step-up) and I couldn't be happier.

I reckon I got an extra 6 months out of my old iMac. You might be luckier, it depends what you use it for. I mostly run Photoshop, Lightroom and iMovie and these are much quicker (particularly rendering times in iMovie).

Nick
    Johann Gambolputty de Von Ausfern....of lm

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi Guys. Further to my starting this thread. Apple have today released a new model iMac 21.5". If I were to buy one I would specify two upgrades, 8GB RAM to 16GB Ram (2666MHz) and iTB Fusion Drive to 512GB SSD. However they are offering three choices of processor and I'd like to ask your advice on which one I should choose.
    A. 3.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3 8th generation. Total cost with Ram and SSD upgrades £1789 (£149 month on 12 months interest free credit)
    B. 3.2GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 8th Generation with Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz. This adds £270 to the price of Option 'A' above. Total cost with Ram and SSD upgrades £2059 (£171 month on 12 months interest free credit)
    C. 3.0GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 8th Generation with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz. The iMac with this processor is priced at £200 more as it has higher spec video graphics and memory (which I probably don't need?). Total with upgrades £1899 (£158 month)or can specify this one with the 3.2GHz as in 'B' above and price then is £2079 (£173 month) this includes the higher spec graphics etc.

My current iMac is a 'Late 2012' model 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel i5 processor, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, 1TB Sata Drive, Nvidia Ge Force GT 640M 512MB Graphics. I use it for Email, Contacts, Calendar, Photos, Music, Pages, Numbers, Notes. I don't do any gaming but I do watch music videos on YouTube. Activity Monitor often shows about 6.25GB of my 8GB RAM in use. CPU often shows less than 10% in use. Although the existing iMac is faster than it was since tweaking a few things (see this thread) I do still sometimes get the beach ball appearing and some documents take a while to load. So I'm just considering the possibility of a new iMac. What do you think? Thank you.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    Hi Guys. Further to my starting this thread. Apple have today released a new model iMac 21.5". If I were to buy one I would specify two upgrades, 8GB RAM to 16GB Ram (2666MHz) and iTB Fusion Drive to 512GB SSD. However they are offering three choices of processor and I'd like to ask your advice on which one I should choose.
    A. 3.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3 8th generation. Total cost with Ram and SSD upgrades £1789 (£149 month on 12 months interest free credit)
    B. 3.2GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 8th Generation with Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz. This adds £270 to the price of Option 'A' above. Total cost with Ram and SSD upgrades £2059 (£171 month on 12 months interest free credit)
    C. 3.0GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 8th Generation with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz. The iMac with this processor is priced at £200 more as it has higher spec video graphics and memory (which I probably don't need?). Total with upgrades £1899 (£158 month)or can specify this one with the 3.2GHz as in 'B' above and price then is £2079 (£173 month) this includes the higher spec graphics etc.

My current iMac is a 'Late 2012' model 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel i5 processor, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, 1TB Sata Drive, Nvidia Ge Force GT 640M 512MB Graphics. I use it for Email, Contacts, Calendar, Photos, Music, Pages, Numbers, Notes. I don't do any gaming but I do watch music videos on YouTube. Activity Monitor often shows about 6.25GB of my 8GB RAM in use. CPU often shows less than 10% in use. Although the existing iMac is faster than it was since tweaking a few things (see this thread) I do still sometimes get the beach ball appearing and some documents take a while to load. So I'm just considering the possibility of a new iMac. What do you think? Thank you.
    I just replaced my own 2010 iMac with a 2019 model. I have the 27 so my perspective will be a little different. I went with the base model but upgraded to the 1TB SSD. I hated to spend that much at Apples prices, but going SSD-only is a very practical decision given how hard these are to service if an HDD crashes. With Thunderbolt ports available, you can expand capacity cheaply with an external USB-C drive, which is what I did. Just be sure the 512GB SSD will be enough internal capacity for your long term needs. Also, going with 16 GB RAM is certainly the minimum I would be considering since you cant upgrade yourself on the 21.5 model. That should suffice long-term for what you appear to be using it for. As for the cpu, you are probably ok with the i3 for your needs, but consider going up to the i5 just to future-proof it a bit, and maybe help with the future resale value some. The base i5 option should be more then adequate. I think the i7 would be overkill for you.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    ...I do still sometimes get the beach ball appearing and some documents take a while to load. So I'm just considering the possibility of a new iMac. What do you think? Thank you.
    Apologies Jeff. I must have missed your April 1st reply.

As far as beachballs. I think we're all prone to these from time to time. You never eliminate them 100%...especially if the computer is being asked to do a lot of tasks...or a fewer more demanding tasks.

If you're asking the "Should I buy a new computer?" question a 2nd time after 4-6 weeks from when we improved things the 1st time...I won't try to talk you out of it again. I think you may have the "new computer bug" in your blood...and only one thing will satisfy that!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Apologies Jeff. I must have missed your April 1st reply.

As far as beachballs. I think we're all prone to these from time to time. You never eliminate them 100%...especially if the computer is being asked to do a lot of tasks...or a fewer more demanding tasks.

If you're asking the "Should I buy a new computer?" question a 2nd time after 4-6 weeks from when we improved things the 1st time...I won't try to talk you out of it again. I think you may have the "new computer bug" in your blood...and only one thing will satisfy that!

- Nick
    Hi Nick. Well 18 days on and in fact I've decided to keep the existing iMac as it is running a lot faster now. There was a recent update to the OS which I think also helped? I was tempted with the zero rate finance offer, but Apple offer those quite often so no need to change at the moment. Just bought an additional WD My Passport back-up drive so I'm now backing-up on two of those (belt and braces). It was very interesting and informative researching a new iMac and the comments on here have been very helpful. It will all be useful at some point in the future I'm sure.

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi Nick. Well 18 days on and in fact I've decided to keep the existing iMac as it is running a lot faster now.
    Good deal...great to hear it. As you've experienced recently...it seems your Late 2012 iMac is capable of still providing acceptable performance for your needs. If you experience slowdowns in the near future...I would venture to guess that those would be due to:

- asking the computer to do too much at one time
    - something was installed that slowed things down
    - computer needs some periodic maintenance
    - might just need to be rebooted

...and not the computer hardware itself. Since as you've experienced...usually the more recent slowdowns we've discussed...were something software, maintenance, or OS related.

No need to spend big $$$/ quite yet!

- Nick

Thread Information