Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Exclamation Bluetooth Not Detected by iMac in System Informations
    Hi everyone,
    this is my first post in this community and I'm writing because I'm experiencing several issues with my Bluetooth module on my iMac 21'' Mid 2010 model 11,2.

Yesterday I replaced my old SuperDrive (not even working anymore) with a brand new SSD Drive. Everything went well and the new drive is correctly detected by the machine. Unfortunately, after installing, Bluetooth stopped working.

Here's the issues I'm having:

- no more Bluetooth logo in System Preferences
    - no informations under the Bluetooth Tab in System Informations
    - no informations about Bluetooth BUS under USB in System Informations

It seems like the machine is not "seeing" the Bluetooth module anymore. For that reason I decided to go back and re-open the machine to see if all the cables where connected. Everything was fine and nothing seemed strange to me.

I've already tried all this:

- Restart Machine
    - Delete com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
    - Reset SMC
    - Reset PRAM
    - Run Apple Hardware Test -> I found a MEM error, due to the fact that my RAM was full of dust
    - Install again MacOS
    - Launch in Recovery Mode

Nothing changed. Then I decided to clean my RAM and Bluetooth came back to life for no reason, but after a reboot it died again.

Again, I tried to install one more time MacOS on my new SSD and luckly my Bluetooth keyboard worked again when I was in recovery mode (at the first page, when you have to selected: Time Machine, Utility Disk, Light Safari or Install OS). Then I installed again OS and my keyboard - during the process - was regularly connected, but then, just after installation, my Bluetooth module disappeared again.

This is my conclusion:

- All the cables are fine (if not, why sometimes the keyboard works?)
    - My Bluetooth module it's not damaged (//)
    - The error is due to some driver incompabilities with my new SSD Drive

How could I fix that?

Bluetooth Not Detected by iMac in System Informations
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Good one. Saw you mentioned a bluetooth issue in another thread.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Good one. Saw you mentioned a bluetooth issue in another thread.

- Nick
    What do you mean by "good one"?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchinif View Post

This is my conclusion:

- The error is due to some driver incompabilities with my new SSD Drive

How could I fix that?
    To test this conclusion...you could uninstall any apps/files related to the new SSD drive....then see if the bluetooth works again.

And to test things even further...you could uninstall any apps/files related to the new SSD drive...AND...reinstall the old optical drive (basically return the iMac to its original configuraton. If after doing this bluetooth is still not working...then maybe something did get damaged (or something disconnected).

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    What do you mean by "good one"?
    I suggested in your other thread regarding the 5K iMac question (when you asked about a bluetooth issue)...to go ahead and post the bluetooth question & someone will jump on it. Then I saw this bluetooth thread...and saw you already posted.

Thus the "good one" comment was referring to good job...that you already posted your bluetooth question.

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    To test this conclusion...you could uninstall any apps/files related to the new SSD drive....then see if the bluetooth works again.

And to test things even further...you could uninstall any apps/files related to the new SSD drive...AND...reinstall the old optical drive (basically return the iMac to its original configuraton. If after doing this bluetooth is still not working...then maybe something did get damaged (or something disconnected).

- Nick
    At the moment both of the hard drives (mechanical and SSD) have been formatted to HFS+, which means that there's nothing on the computer, nor any files that could be related to the issue.

I really do not know what is the problem, assuming that the Bluetooth module was not even touched during the SSD installation.

I'm scared that something may be disconnected at this point, but how could I check? On the top left corner of the iMac everything seemed fine.

At the moment both of the hard drives (mechanical and SSD) have been formatted to HFS+, which means that there's nothing on the computer, nor any files that could be related to the issue.

I really do not know what is the problem, assuming that the Bluetooth module was not even touched during the SSD installation.

I'm scared that something may be disconnected at this point, but how could I check? On the top left corner of the iMac everything seemed fine.
    No other ideas ?

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I'm really not a hardware guy but I have heard of a number of cases where the Bluetooth and WiFi antenna have been damaged during screen replacement but honestly I don't know if this is a possibility in your instance. iFixit is a site which gives walkthroughs on just about any tech you can take apart. Maybe check Thier site for the steps to do what you did and see if there are any notes about possible mistakes/errors that could occur. I know it's a long shot but maybe worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I did some video watching and the Bluetooth module is very close to where you had to disconnect the Vertical Sync cable at the top left of the iMac and you might have hit it accidently and dislodged it. Open the iMac back up and check this guide as it shows how to change the Bluetooth module. Make sure it's seated in it's slot and the antenna is connected. Since the OS can not even find the module, to me it sounds like either it was damaged when you were near it unplugging that Sync cable from the display or it got moved enough not to connect in it's slot.

Let us know what you find. Here is the URL:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+In...placement/6265

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    I'm really not a hardware guy but I have heard of a number of cases where the Bluetooth and WiFi antenna have been damaged during screen replacement but honestly I don't know if this is a possibility in your instance. iFixit is a site which gives walkthroughs on just about any tech you can take apart. Maybe check Thier site for the steps to do what you did and see if there are any notes about possible mistakes/errors that could occur. I know it's a long shot but maybe worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Thanks for you reply but, this is what happens:

Video 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k43vyw7bDM

Video 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M74c0u5VcRQ

When I’m in recovery mode/selection of the boot hard drive, everything works… but then, just after installing the OS, Bluetooth dies.

Please watch the video. It’s clear that it is not an hardware problem, to me.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    When I try to view your videos, I get "Video Unavailable" for both.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Did you say you booted from a either reinstalled OS or OS on an external? If the hardware is ok, it makes no sense that it only works in Safe Mode. I have never had BT issues with any Mac I have owned and any version of the OS. Strange one for sure. I would check the BT module anyway. Even if the Antenna was disconnected, the OS would still see the card.

Please do try and remove and re-seat the BT card. It can not hurt for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post

Ian
    Check them now.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post

Ian
    Must be something server related between you and where the videos are hosted Ian. They are working here.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Did you say you booted from a either reinstalled OS or OS on an external? If the hardware is ok, it makes no sense that it only works in Safe Mode. I have never had BT issues with any Mac I have owned and any version of the OS. Strange one for sure. I would check the BT module anyway. Even if the Antenna was disconnected, the OS would still see the card.
    Yes. It is very strange anyway.

Sometimes the Bluetooth keyboard works (which means that internally everything it is fine) when I'm trying to install OS again. I have a bootable usb-drive with macOs High Sierra mounted and when I boot from that drive usually everything works fine. But then, just after installing the os on the ssd drive, the Bluetooth module disappear again.

If you watch the video it's very clear what happens.

internally everything should be ok, as I already checked several times!

Thread Information