Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cooling solution for the Mac mini?
    I am looking at purchasing a used Mac Mini that can run the latest (Mojave) as my next computer, but I have heard and seen online that the aluminium unibody Mac minis all have an issue with overheating. They get extremely hot when put on load and the heat can be felt through the aluminum casing.

I was wondering, if there are any solutions I can buy along with my Mac mini to keep it cool and running smooth, so it doesn't throttle or anything bad that extreme heat can do. I couldn't find anything solutions to cool the Mini, but to just stick a computer fan under it or pop off the plastic base. I hope to hear that there is a better way to ensure the computer gets properly cooled. I would love to have a Mac at a low cost, but for it not to bake at high temperatures.

Under load, electronic components get hot, fans are put into computers to channel cool air in and hot air out and adjust the rate they do this with sensors around key components. Aluminum is a good conductor of heat and when the machine is hot, the case will get hot. When the machine is cool, the case will be cool.

There is absolutely NOTHING you need to do beyond what has been done by the Apple engineers to keep the Mac Mini functioning. If overheating (to a point of thermal shutdown) was an issue, Apple engineers would have long ago addressed it and would hardly continue to sell these devices.

Put the Mac Mini in a well ventilated place and let it do it's thing. You will have no problems with it.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    What do you plan to do with the mini?

There is this, https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newe...y/NUSTALYMINI/, if you are that worried about it?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I plan on using the mini for video rendering and 3d work that would put it on constant load, so I was hoping for a more efficient option than waiting for the chassis to dissipate it. Also, I've seen that there is a blower fan under the computer to cool the CPU, but where does it get the air from, if there is no intake.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I can't speak for older Mini's but the new 2018 Mini has a large vent at the back. Perhaps you need to reconsider your needs if you're going to be putting that much stress on a machine.

That sounds great, but the vent is for exhaust and there is no intake on all of the Mac minis even though Apple shows intake from base, but the base has no holes or openings.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    The heat is generated, and exhausted, no intake needed.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    As warm air is exhausted, cooler air is drawn in thru the base. That's the way Apple engineers designed it. And I will repeat again, that perhaps you need to consider a different machine if overheating is something that you are worried about. Have you considered an iMac?

I have looked at an iMac, but sadly, the price is what draws me to Mac mini as being affordable.

+1 as to what chscag has mentioned several times:
    And I will repeat again, that perhaps you need to consider a different machine if overheating is something that you are worried about. Have you considered an iMac?
    But if you want some cooling ideas for the mini, have a perusal here for some ides and suggestions:
    cooling mac mini mod image - Google Search

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy123 View Post
    I was wondering, if there are any solutions I can buy along with my Mac mini to keep it cool and running smooth...

You could try one of these for $16:

SANOXY Slim Laptop Cooling Pad with 1 Fan for up to 15 INCH for your laptop, Apple Mac BookPro, Ultrabook, notebook or netbook (BLUE)
    https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Coolin...dp/B00ZYIO00Y/
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    You could try using MacsFanControl to keep an eye on and adjust fan speed to prevent overheating:
    https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control/download

Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    You could try using MacsFanControl to keep an eye on and adjust fan speed to prevent overheating:
    https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control/download

Excellent idea!!! We use it with all our Macs and have done so for years.

And maybe even consider adding a decent air vent for incoming air as some have done:
    Mac mini mod - Air inlet
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...inlet.1625166/

- Patrick
    ======

I would not recommend you manually tweak the fans since it will automatically do what it necessary to control the heat. If you are going to constantly run it at a higher rates for longer periods of times, you risk damaging it and will end up with worse issues.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    -->
    The Mac mini was not designed to handle the tasks that you plan to use it for. You are going to beat it to death, and yes it will get very hot. You may be better off saving up a little longer for a used machine that is up to the task of your demands. There are plenty of older Mac Pro's, iMac's out there that would be better suited for video editing and 3D work.
    2017 15" MBP 1tb | 2017 27" 5k iMac | 2016 12" MacBook | 2012 Mac Pro | 24" ACD | iPhone Xs Max | Series 4 Nike Watch w/Cellular | 11 iPad Pro | HomePod | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | TV4K

Thread Information