Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New iMac supper slow , did I get screwed ??!!
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I will throw this out there for what it's worth. I have a late 2012 iMac 21.5" I bought used so I could test and run Mojave. The only thing that I would call slow at all is booting to the desktop and that is the 5400 RPM drive causing most of that. my 2012 has the same specs as your new mac as far as Hard Drive, RAM, ETC. Once in the OS most things open in 1-2 bounces of the dock icon. Roxio toast takes a bit longer but it does that on my 8 thread i7 iMac also.

Something just sounds wrong about what you are seeing. I wish I could help but can not duplicate your issue here.

Also does this new 21.5" have Mojave installed or High Sierra?

macmechanic may well be the major problem.

I'd agree and good catch.

Description
    Removal
    How to remove Mac Mechanic from Mac?
    Mac Mechanic may bother your Mac computer with a number of pop-up alerts and warnings that do not really exist. Remove this unwanted program by executing the guide as presented on this page.
    https://www.precisesecurity.com/hija...e-mac-mechanic

How to Remove Mac Mechanic
    Mac Mechanic is a deceptive application identical to Advanced Mac Cleaner and a number of others.
    https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guide...chanic-pup-mac

I'd still be interested if the OP booted using Safe Boot Mode and knowing what if any any changes there were.

- Patrick
    ======

I believe it was pm-r that was curious about just what model iMac I have :

it is this one :

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/i...017-specs.html

harryb,

thank you for catching the Mac Mechanic app. I will remove that and see if that has any improvement .

I have booted it in safe mode and it was actually running worse !

on boot up the screen had blue lines going up and down ( similar to a analogue CR- TV.

when the desktop came up the icons in the dock where pixelated when the pointer moved over them , I was going to record the screen , however the recorder would not work and it was a challenge to open and quit the apps.

one thing I wanted to mention , I took a while for me to boot the machine in safe mode , I tried a number of times to no avail , then final it booted .

I have not tried to boot from a fresh install of the OS from an external HD , not 100% sure how to do that without some reading , nor where to actually get the copy of the OS from .
    maybe I will dive into that as a fun Saturday project. !!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    one thing I wanted to mention , I took a while for me to boot the machine in safe mode , I tried a number of times to no avail , then final it booted .
    Not a problem to worry about. Ever since Apple in their "wisdom" did away with the boot chime, it's very difficult to catch the right moment to hold down an appropriate key. Here's what I found - but you have to watch the screen closely -

Reboot, and eventually the screen will turn all black. Look for the backlight to come on very dim, as soon as you see that, hold down the appropriate key for what you want the machine to do. You may have to do that several times before you get it just right. Why Apple did away with the boot chime is beyond me.

dtravis7 ,

I am still running High Sierra , I would like to install Mojave , but I am not sure if it would help or make matters worse .

FWIW :

I am also running an :

iMac
    Mid 2011 ,
    21.5 iMac
    2.7 GHz i5
    12 Gb 1333 DDR3
    1 TB 7200

I purchased the new iMac to replace the old one but after I was able to free up a lot HD space it is working pretty good .

I think I am going to dust off my G4 867 MMD and see what that does.

I think I am going to dust off my G4 867 MMD and see what that does.

That should be a different thread subject I would think seeing that it can't go beyond Maximum MacOS: X 10.5.8.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    I have not tried to boot from a fresh install of the OS from an external HD , not 100% sure how to do that without some reading , nor where to actually get the copy of the OS from .
    maybe I will dive into that as a fun Saturday project. !!
    This can be a very important step. It really helps you narrow things down to it being a hardware or software/OS issue.

None of this procedure is difficult...and you learn a lot along the way. I'm sure any of use would be more happy to walk you thru the main steps of the process.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information