Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Best way to add more storage to iMac

Your Mac's Specs
    2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
    If I were to purchase an iMac with the 512GB SSD option, what's the best way to add more storage to it in terms of capacity and performance? I presume I cannot add an internal drive easily, so would an external HDD work at an decent level of performance? If so, which connection type into the iMac would be the fastest?

You don't want to tear into a new iMac due to the warranty, but the SSD will not be a traditional 2.5" SATA drive but rather a PCIe card. You can likely upgrade that in the future. Your best bet is to go with an external SSD storage (the largest your budget will allow). As far as interface goes, you can go with a ThunderBolt connection to get quite a fast speed.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I totally agree. Don't touch a brand new Mac. And I also agree External Storage, whether with conventional Spinning Platter or Solid State Drives are easily come by; and if money is tight and speed is not of the essence, then go for a Spinning Platter External Hard Drive. Very inexpensive these days and connection type becomes less relevant.

But, of course, Ashwin is spot on; if speed is crucial - SSD and Thunderbolt connection.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    I've just had a look at external SSDs and they are prohibitively expensive for me in capacities of 1TB+.

Ideally I'd like something like a 4TB external drive as up to half of that would be used up by my flight sim program plus additional third-party scenery. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 4GB external drive that'll work well with an iMac?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Look for a USB 3 version.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

If so, which connection type into the iMac would be the fastest?

I dare say I'd suggest doing some checking on the various speed/connection options and the Mac model you'll end up with.

Some of the hits here should help:
    iMac Thunderbolt vs USB connection speed
    https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- Patrick
    ======

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    As in my post #3, if speed is not critical, then you can get a 4TB External Hard Drive (EHD) of the Spinning Platter type for a tiny fraction of the cost of an SSD. And the connection type is what's easiest.

Ian
    Ian

External Hard Drive (EHD) of the Spinning Platter type for a tiny fraction of the cost of an SSD. And the connection type is what's easiest.

Not forgetting that the 3.5" HDDs are often faster than the 2.5" versions, and I would suggest only consider the 7200RPM models. Many can overcome the speed of the connection so check all the specs and speeds.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    This gives pretty fair comparisons of 3.5" drive capacities and prices. Remnember what may seem a bargain today in a couple of years may be slow and disappointing.

https://www.lifewire.com/best-sata-hard-drives-833475
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Ideally I'd like something like a 4TB external drive as up to half of that would be used up by my flight sim program plus additional third-party scenery. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 4GB external drive that'll work well with an iMac?
    You didn't mention which Flight Simulator program you intend to run, but from my experience with running one, you should definitely try to put everything on the internal drive not an external one. I realize that scenery alone can take up a great amount of space but that's the way it is.

If you can't afford a large internal SSD then what Ashwin recommended above is the only realistic alternative in my opinion. Either that, or cut back on the third party scenery.

This gives pretty fair comparisons of 3.5" drive capacities and prices.

Regardless of price, I'd strongly recommend the WD Black 3.5" series for external use, even if they do cost a bit more but often available on sale.
    And I see they are also rated as one of the fastest at that review site. Nice bonus!!!

Highly recommended enterprise HDDs.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    3.5 GHz Core i7 (I7-7567U) 8 GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    I got a 4gb Seagate hard drive for this purpose but Thunderbolt is also good.

Your Mac's Specs
    I spent much of yesterday and last night looking deeper into this. The Thunderbolt 3 ports on the 2017 iMac have a bandwidth of 40Gbit/s. There is not realistically-priced external HDD that would max out the TB3 connection. The TB3 port also doubles as a USB Type-C port which has a bandwidth of 10Gbit/s. Most consumer SSDs seem to have internal interfaces with bandwidths of up to 6Gbit/s (e.g. SATA III). Thus, an external drive with a USB Type-C interface seems to be the best in terms of performance/price.

Given that I want to run a very large flight-sim app off the external drive, I think an SSD-based one would be best. I'm going to go with the Samsung T5 2TB SSD.

Given that I want to run a very large flight-sim app off the external drive, I think an SSD-based one would be best. I'm going to go with the Samsung T5 2TB SSD.

An excellent choice for a fast external SSD according to some reports. ie:
    Samsung’s X5 is a portable, blazing-fast SSD with Thunderbolt 3 speeds
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...speed-features

Certainly not exactly cheap, but as harry said above, you get what you pay for.ie:
    Remember[sic] what may seem a bargain today in a couple of years may be slow and disappointing.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    @pm-r: I managed to buy a Samsung T5 (not X5) 2TB portable SSD for a very good price on eBay UK. I was actually worried that it might be a fake as the price was around 20% cheaper than the next best price that I'd seen on Amazon UK. However, the seller had thousands of positive reviews and no negative reviews. It arrived today, factory sealed, and I tested it on my Mac Mini as I the iMac hasn't arrived yet. It worked fine. The Samsung Portable SSD software (for Mac) recognised it so that pretty much confirmed to me that it was a genuine product.

I'm looking forward to using it on my iMac when that arrives. I'll be formatting it to APFS on my iMac in due course.

Another question: has anyone ever had an issue with a third-party SSD (internal or external) connected to a Mac that goes into sleep mode? A year or two ago I replaced the system HDD on my Mac Mini with an internal SSD (512GB) which got bricked after a few weeks and I could not recover the data on it at all. I suspect it was down to the Mac Mini going into sleep mode and trashing the SSD.

Thread Information