Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

NAS or DAS?  Setting up a network

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
    NAS or DAS? Setting up a network
    Good Day all,

Thanks to music and movies, i have just about filled up the 3Tb HDD on my desktop mac (late 2012, 27 inch). I have decided to get either a Drobo 5D or Drobo 5N and move my media and data over to the external drive, leaving the Mac's internal drive for Apps and Parallels. I am trying to figure out the best Drobo to use.

I would like to use the 5N, but I am not sure if I correctly understand the capabilities and limitations of networks. I am playing media from my iMac over wi-fi my AppleTV more and more and it's getting to be a bit annoying to make sure my desktop is awake and iTunes is running each time. I would like to set up a media server for the TV, but I certainly don't want to try and keep the iTunes libraries on two computers updated. I buy some of my media through iTunes, but most of it is imported from my own physical media. If I had a Network drive, I am thinking I could attach a mac mini to the TV and share the library on the Drobo. I guess that brings up question one: Can two macs share the same iTunes library?

How hard is it to set up a network with Macs? Never done it before. It would have to be wireless between the Hub and Media computer as there is no LAN wiring in my house.

Is the Drobo 5N fast enough to be the Data/Media drive for my computer? Various articles I have read put the 5N read/write speed around 48/12 Mb/s vs. 140/90 Mb/s for the 5D.

Thanks for the help,
    Jeff
    Dragons Slain, Damsels Rescued
    No Dragon too small, No maiden too Faire, No Reward too Large

Are you married to the Drobo brand or is that the only one you've looked at? You should check out the Synology brand of NAS'. Drobo is completely fine as a backup (either wired or over the network) to a single machine and while it does have other features, you're better served by a NAS that is a stand-alone machine that can act as your Media storage, Media server and Time Machine backup for example.

I use a Synology DS415+ that does everything you want it to do. It stores my iTunes library and is accessible across all of my devices. Plus Synology have their own iOS apps to access the content. The NAS also is a DLNA compliant device and streams data to other compliant devices like TVs, PS4, XBox and so on. It also has a Apple media server to allow your AppleTV to stream from it.

The beauty of all of this is you don't need ANOTHER machine connected to it to do its work.

You should checkout the DS416Play as a starting point and go up or down depending on your budget..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks for that link RazOr. I've been thinking about using something like this for a while now. I originally tried two different devices that did not last any time at all. I was using a hard drive to two attached to my Time Capsule but for some reason the Macs aren't seeing drives attached to the Tome Capsule anymore. One f these days I'll get around to troubleshooting that.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

I had a Netgear NAS for a few years and while it served it's purpose as just a NAS well enough, it lacked all of the other features that the newer NAS' support, so I upgraded. The Synology has a whole bunch of apps and features that are quite cool like a private cloud if you want or the newer ones with the upscaling of video to 4K and so on..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I forget who made the first one I tried but it never really worked as well as an iTunes server as it should have and didn't last very long either. The second one was an Iomega EZ Backup gizmo. Oner day I accidentally told it to copy more files to the device than it had space for. The software did not issue a warning/complaint but started copying anyway. At some point the device locked up and I could not do anything with the drive.

Tech support from them was next to useless. IIRC there was no real warranty since I had waited more than 90 days to register the device. Lets just say the entire process left me completely sour on them as a company. I eventually took the thing apart, removed the drive, and salvaged as much of my media as I could.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information