Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

iMac won't start/boot. Now stuck with white screen.
    Hi,

I have searched and read a few topics but haven't yet found anything which mirrors my situation. I have an iMac (I believe 2009) which has been idle for a number of months and I am now unable to start it. From memory it is running El Capitan.

Pushing the power button has resulted in the machine going through the normal boot procedure but the Apple logo screen with the bar across the screen seem to be the end of the road. I have disconnected my external Time Machine, disconnected the Mac from the power source, tried a 4-key reset and after that, my Mac appears to be stuck with a white screen. The cursor responds to my trackpad but the keyboard only brings a "beep" when keys are depressed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

David

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Did you try the keyboard in a different USB port? Did you disconnect everything from the iMac? Keyboard? Mouse? External disk? Printer? Only connect the keyboard and mouse, then try NVRAM reset, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063. If you are still having issues try Recovery, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314 which may or may not work, depending on the keyboard issue. Do you have another keyboard you can try?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thanks for the response, Bob.

I have a wireless keyboard and trackpad and they were the only devices attached to the Mac. I had tried the "NVRAM" reset first thing this morning and after the second "power up" tone from the machine, I was hoping that all was OK. Twenty minutes later and I still had a white screen. I powered it down shortly afterwards and then tried to restart again when I came back home and landed on a Restore screen. I have re-attached my Time Machine HD and the restoring process is now taking place.

I haven't been through this process before and I hope that everything is ok with the back-ups.

I'll come back and report again later!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    From what you've told us, it looks like your internal drive is having an issue. You may want to research here, https://www.ifixit.com and find the repair guide for your iMac to see if replacing the hard drive procedure is something you may want to do.

But, we will wait for your response, to see if your issue was resolved.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thanks again Bob. After going through the Restore procedure yesterday, everything appears to be back to normal now. Happy camper!

Your Mac's Specs
    Excellent, glad to hear it.
    -- Bob --

Thread Information