Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SSD in iMac mid 2007, where to go?

Your Mac's Specs
    n/a
    Hi, My mid 2007 iMac is still going strong but now i have upgraded to Yosemite things are going a little slower. I've chosen to upgrade to a 256gb SSD drive. Now initial thoughts were to swap it with the 2TB HDD that is in there now. But I've read that you can keep the original HDD in place and put the SSD in the optical bay with an adapter. However this seems more complicated and I'm unsure about setting it all up. it seems easier to me to swap the drives but I would then need to put all of my files onto an externally connected HDD. If i do this with a firewire cable will I negate or offset the upgrade benefits of going to a SSD drive for Apps etc or should I be brave and try putting the SSD in the optical bay? Hopefully, someone can advise on which is best. Many thanks in advance. Craig

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I think it would be easier and more convenient to remove the optical drive and install the SSD in its place. You can buy the adapter and also get instructions from Mac Sales here in the US. It may be less expensive to buy the adapter in the UK while at the same time look at the installation video from Mac Sales.

I just looked at what Mac Sales has for adapter kits. They only sell the kits for the 2009 thru 2011 iMac models. Earlier models are not adaptable. So perhaps your idea about replacing the 2 TB with a SSD is better, however, I certainly would go for a larger SSD if you have the money to do so.

Your Mac's Specs
    n/a
    Thanks for that. Yes, I'm shying more and more away from the optical drive solution. If I put a 250gb SSD as my main drive for apps etc would putting my photos and music on an external firewire drive work well? Or should I use an NAS? I wouldn't want the apps to be snappy and then the photos to load slowly.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, macOS X.15.3,.
    Suggest using the SSD as your systems drive to get the benefits of it. USe the 2TB drive as an eternal via FW800.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    n/a
    I've been looking for a firewire enclosure to put my 2TB (5400rpm) drive into and come up with some information regarding putting the 2TB drive into a NAS enclosure instead. Then plug this into my router via a switch. I could then pop another HDD in when I need to. Would this be a better solution than just using a firewire enclosure?

Your Mac's Specs
    n/a
    Alternatively, would I experience a slow down accessing photos from iPhoto etc from a USB 2 connected drive? The enclosures seem to be more readily available and cheaper! Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    In one word yes.

Never ever does cheaper equate with faster!

chas_m
    I recently swapped out the optical drive in my 2012 MBP for a 256GB SSD. It wasn't a walk in the park but it wasn't terribly hard **IF** you follow the instructions carefully and don't shortcut.

I love the speed of the SSD but now I regret not having purchased a far larger capacity one, since it is now obvious I will have to replace the boot drive with one as well (I just have too much stuff for 256GB).

Your Mac's Specs
    And an iMac would be somewhat more difficult chas?

Your Mac's Specs
    n/a
    Ok, so I've installed a 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus in the place of the old HDD. It's made an improvement but I don't think its a massive one. I need to download an app to test the speed etc. But I'm happy, apart from the fact I can still hear the fan and the back of the iMac is really really hot. Not sure if I've noticed it this hot before.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAIGYBABES View Post
    Ok, so I've installed a 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus in the place of the old HDD. It's made an improvement but I don't think its a massive one. I need to download an app to test the speed etc. But I'm happy, apart from the fact I can still hear the fan and the back of the iMac is really really hot. Not sure if I've noticed it this hot before.
    When you were in there replacing the drive I hope you did not accidentally unplug a connector to a Fan. It's easy to do when you take out the LCD on the 2007 as the Temp sensor cable plugs in right by where at least one Fan plugs into the Logic board.

Your Mac's Specs
    n/a
    It seems ok now. Fan has stopped. I was very careful when i opened it up and put it back, following the OWC youtube video. I've ran some tests and I can see I'm getting around 200MB/s write and 250MB/s read. I believe that's correct for a SSD connected on SATA II.
    It is definitely an improvement now everything has settled down. I just need to make sure the correct folders/files are on my firewire connected HDD.
    Thanks all for advice

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAIGYBABES View Post
    It seems ok now. Fan has stopped.
    Hopefully it hasn't stopped, or something is likely to overheat and fail. All 3 fans should run continuously but quietly. Usually if the fans run at high revs and are noisy it indicates a sensor is not connected.
    Steve
    UK

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Steve is 100% correct. When you put in a Hard Drive on a 2007 and 2008, you have to take off the LCD and disconnect one sensor to the LCD. That cable is a pain to re-route and plug back in and many miss that. Without that cable from the LCD's heat sensor one of the fans will rev up. I would check that to be sure. The Sensor cable comes from under the Left of the LCD and plugs in with 3 other cables in a row on the Left.

You have to be careful to route it so it misses the one hole that takes a screw when you put on the front Bezel!

Your Mac's Specs
    n/a
    On closer inspection.....ear pressed up against screen, i can hear a whirring noise and it does sound like the fan/s are/is on. I've shown below the screenshot from iStat. Hope that all reads ok? I'm absolutely very confident that I plugged everything back in ok. Are those temps ok?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2023.15.55.pdf
    Last edited by dtravis7; 07-18-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Thread Information