Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Imac shattered looking video problem?

Hello, all, I am trying to help my friend with his unit, this is an imac A1207, was working fine then he said he "thinks" while moving it, it was knocked slightly against the wall becuase next time it was powered on, the video looks like shattered glass but the screen itself is not broken at all. It has OSX 10.6.3 and we can move the mouse all over the screen and open close any programs so no performance issues, only the shattered video look. Is this a hardware or software issue please? Oh how can I fix this please?

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5...0321154821.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    It's hard to say, but it does look like a hardware problem. I'm guessing here that he may have knocked something loose inside - perhaps a video cable - when it was bumped. Tell him to attach an external monitor or TV to the iMac to see if the same occurs. He'll likely need an adapter and cable to do that.

Thanks but he'll have to purchase a special cable to know like you said and if that doesn't help diagnose the problem then what? I tooo am thinking something may have come loose but don't know how to "safely" open this unit without taking a risk to do any damage.

I found this link, looks easy enough to open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLjIcSxVVDw

but what would I be looking for a loose cable maybe and at what point would I see it? I don't wish to have to scrap the whole thing then can't put it back together?

Your Mac's Specs
    You might wish to take a look at the breakdown instructions step by step by going to iFixit: The free repair manual. Have the model number on hand. Opening up an iMac is difficult and requires some special tools. You'll need glass suckers and a set of torx drivers.

Have your friend try this before doing anything else: Have him take a screenshot of the desktop. If the screenshot shows a normal picture, then you'll know it's a loose cable or something else that may have been dislodged inside.

cool but how do you take a screenshot on a mac, on a windows keyboard there is the Printscreen key, that I know how to do but not on a mac?

Your Mac's Specs
    Take a look at the instructions for doing screenshots on a Mac at the following link: LINK

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Try plugging an external monitor into it. This may help determine if it is or is not a logic board problem.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I had searched the net for instructions on the screenshot but there isn't a tab on this KB titled "command"?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB blade drive, OS X.15.5.
    Your Alt is Command.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    The "Windows" key is your "Command" key. And a hint for your friend... get a real Mac keyboard.

So I press Alt-shift and the #3 key buttons and it looks like a file is saved somewhere on the desktop but with the screen situation I cannot see the saved file.

Thanks for your replies, I searched the net for some answers for this and restarted the unit in Safe Mode and the desktop now looks clear as the attached image shows, it shows the password screen so I am waiting for my friend to contact me to give me the password but what does this mean and what should I do from here please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
    Thanks for your replies, I searched the net for some answers for this and restarted the unit in Safe Mode and the desktop now looks clear as the attached image shows, it shows the password screen so I am waiting for my friend to contact me to give me the password but what does this mean and what should I do from here please?
    If the display looks fine in "Safe Mode"...more than likely there's a software issue. Probably caused by the installation of some sort of "junk" application...or an OS issue (something got corrupted, accidentally misplaced, or accidentally deleted).

Could either uninstall any suspected "junk" applications...and/or do a fresh OS install.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thanks Nick, I will attempt to reinstall but just for the knowledge and for future reference, if this was a hardware problem and nothing could be viewed clearly, would there be any way to retrieve any files from the HDD? In Windows you can take the HDD out and attach as a slave to another HDD and retrieve any info once the drive is not damaged, with a MAC is it the same? if not what options are there please?

Thread Information