Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

What size screwdriver is needed to upgrade iMac i5 RAM?
    Hi folks,

I just took delivery of a refurbished iMac 2.5 GHz i5 today and am going to upgrade the RAM in the very near future, seeing as RAM's as cheap as chips (no pun intended ) right now.

Okay, my question is this: What size screwdriver do I need to undo the captive "Philips" screw that holds the RAM slot cover in place? I have searched and asked my good friend Mr. Google, but so far haven't found the definitive answer.

I'm thinking it could be a Philips #2, but I could be wrong on this one.

Thanks in advance.
    Mid 2011 i5 2.5 GHz iMac 21.5"

Your Mac's Specs
    21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
    Any small/medium Philips will do...Something I never gave any thought to when I did mine...They're just snugged in there anyway...Pay more attention to seating them properly...give a firm, steady push and wait for the "click"....

Quote Originally Posted by codda View Post
    Any small/medium Philips will do...Something I never gave any thought to when I did mine...They're just snugged in there anyway...Pay more attention to seating them properly...give a firm, steady push and wait for the "click"....
    Thanks for that.
    I just don't want to chew up the groove in the head with a screwdriver that doesn't fit properly, especially as the screw is captive, so can't be replaced.

Thanks for the info on the seating - I was aware of that, but it never hurts to be reminded.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I'm thinking it could be a Philips #2, but I could be wrong on this one.
    It just so happens you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It just so happens you're right.
    Yay me! LOL

Thanks for confirming.

I didn't make you go looking for your screwdriver set just to check, did I?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    No. It just so happens that I recently upgraded the memory in my 2011 iMac so I was familiar with what size was needed. Removing the screws was easy, it was getting the new modules to seat properly that was the difficult part. Wore out my thumbs pushing the miserable things down into the slots. But it was worth the effort.

RAM's arrived! :)
    Hi all,

Just an update - I ordered some more RAM for my iMac on Friday afternoon (2x4Gb 1333MHz DDR3 @ 15 each) and it arrived today.
    While I had the plastic out, I also ordered APP for iMac. It only cost me 82.00 excluding the tax, so altogether the GT was 134.40.

I just got home from work and installed it in the iMac and now I have 12Gb, so hopefully I won't run low any time soon.

All in all I'm a very happy bunn...err I mean Rottie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    No. It just so happens that I recently upgraded the memory in my 2011 iMac so I was familiar with what size was needed. Removing the screws was easy, it was getting the new modules to seat properly that was the difficult part. Wore out my thumbs pushing the miserable things down into the slots. But it was worth the effort.
    I've seen this observation from others, but for some reason I found it quite easy to insert the new RAM module. Hardest part was just lifting the 27" iMac down to the floor.
    Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone, rejuvenated a discarded MacBook and, finally, Apple Watch. Happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Demapples View Post
    I've seen this observation from others, but for some reason I found it quite easy to insert the new RAM module. Hardest part was just lifting the 27" iMac down to the floor.
    I found it extremely easy to seat the RAM, too. Mind you, I didn't follow Apple's "recommended" way of flipping the iMac over on a soft towel; I just unplugged all the cables and moved the iMac forwards on my desk, so that it was almost on the edge of the desk, with the front edge of the iMac overhanging the edge of the desk, then unscrewed the RAM slot and seated the RAM that way.

Job done in under 5 minutes.

Thread Information