Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    transfer everything from g4 to macpro
    im getting a macpro with osx lion installed. i now have a g4 with osx tiger. id like to transfer all my files, accounts and apps to my new macpro. is that possible. i talked to apple and they said use migration assistant. what about carbon copy cloner ? like i said id like to transfer everything from my old hard drive to new one but ofcourse keep osx lion.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Presumably all your files are in your home folder? I would simply copy most of that folder to an external hard drive, and read it back in on your Mac Pro. Stay away from files that are system files, for example your Library folder. Transfer YOUR files, leave the system's files. In general, I would stay away from Carbon Copy Cloner for uses like this - you need to be selective and just preserve the files you should, not everything. Hope this helps.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
    im getting a macpro with osx lion installed. i now have a g4 with osx tiger. id like to transfer all my files, accounts and apps to my new macpro. is that possible. i talked to apple and they said use migration assistant. what about carbon copy cloner ? like i said id like to transfer everything from my old hard drive to new one but ofcourse keep osx lion.
    Easiest thing is to link by Firewire cable and boot the G4 in target mode. Migration Assistant will transfer your files without touching the OS. No problems . . . done this several times before.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

sounds like your the person to listen to, Razormac. so as mac 57 says, should i do a custom transfer excluding my system folder. therefore would that be the only folder to exclude ?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
    sounds like your the person to listen to, Razormac. so as mac 57 says, should i do a custom transfer excluding my system folder. therefore would that be the only folder to exclude ?
    I absolutely did not intend to imply in anyway that mac57 was wrong, just that you don't have to do it manually, Migration Assistant is capable of sorting out what not to move.
    There is no need to exclude anything when doing a transfer using Firewire and Migration Assistant. Just need to check afterwards to ensure everything was moved, there are sometimes things that either don't make the transition or are corrupt (very rare in my experience, but worth checking)
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

should of worded my answer a little different. then ill not worry, like you said migration assistant will know what to transfer. i also noticed there are boxes that can be checked or left unchecked in migration assistant. not sure if the checked boxes are the ones being transferred or is it the boxes that are unchecked being transferred.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Just be aware Lion will not run all your G4 applications. Rosetta is not supported so all PowerPC applications will simply not open. Office 2008 and 2011 weill run, but not earlier versions etc.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Detailed instructions if you don't have them.
    How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

Check the boxes that you want to transfer

then what if i partition one of my had drives and copy the programs that lion wont run. say have a partition that contains tiger as its OS, is that possible. by the way, the macpro im getting wendsday has two 750 gb hard drives.

Your Mac's Specs
    Harry and some of the other guys here have a lot more experience with older Macs and with Mac Pros and PowerMacs in particular.
    Don't think this has changed under Lion, but you could Run a Tiger OS Disk or even potentially pull the HD from your G4 (not sure about this as far as drive compatibility) and boot from either.
    Startup Manager: How to select a startup volume

in a perfect word id be able to install my g4 hard drive in my macpro, it has two empty hard drive bays.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    No you could not add G4 drives as Mac Pros are at least SATA II 3GB/s transfer drives and the G4 is an IDE. What I would suggest is an external hard drive connected by Firewire to your G4 and loading Tiger on that if you must had e those PPC applications. Firewire is the best bet as not all G4's will boot from a USB external drive, just not fast enough.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

il first connect my g4 to my mac pro by firewire. if there are some things that it wont transfer ill check into transferring that info to a external hard drive and try transferring it that way.

target disk mode. during install on your new mac, you get the option to copy everything accross from your old account.

Thumbs up
    Great thread, guys, exactly what I was looking for!

Thread Information