Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Mac Mini not booting
    I have a MAC Mini that when I plug in the power cord, the fan spins up at full blast and nothing else happens. No light on the front no booting. Is it brick or is there a way I can fix it?!?! Thanks

If you have another mac, you can try to load it in target disk mode and check it out from there.
    How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

I don't have another MAC Mini to try that with. I am a PC person. In a situation with PC's I can do things to narrow it down. But with a MAC Mini I don't have spare parts to test different things.

I am not sure where to go from here. Generally when you have a HDD failure the system will still boot and you will get a folder and? icon. So you are not getting any video of any kind, just a fan spin and thats it?

Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?

My fear is mainboard.

Mac Mini not booting
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Which model Mini do you have? Year and model? Which version of OS X is it running?

It's the MAC Mini (Late 2005) M9687xx/B 1.5GHz G4/512MB SDRAM/80GB HD/Combo drive/ATI Radeon 9200 (64MB VRAM)/AirPort & Bluetooth built-in/no modem.

Let me also mention that it's a client Mini I am working on and unfortunately all I have is the adapter for the monitor and the power pack/cord. Client does not have any of the original DVD's or software. So I am running on the minimum. They said it was working fine and then it stopped.

So far I have verified that the sensor fan cable is plugged in. Also I tried, with power cord unplugged, plugging in the power cord while simultaneously pressing the power button; release the power button and then powered it on... (Got that from reading a website. No response.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjielsl View Post

My fear is mainboard.
    That's my fear also. But I want to make sure before I tell the client that.

Can you check the output voltage of the power supply the plugs into the computer.
    if good check on board

Mac Mini not booting
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. The symptom you describe sounds very much like it's a logic board problem or main power supply. Since it's a 2005 model, it's not worth fooling with and spending a lot of money to repair. I would just advise the owner to purchase a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. The symptom you describe sounds very much like it's a logic board problem or main power supply. Since it's a 2005 model, it's not worth fooling with and spending a lot of money to repair. I would just advise the owner to purchase a new one.
    .....and send me the old one!

Thread Information