Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Powermac G5 - Still A Good Computer?
    Hi All,

At work today I was offered a G5 Powermac, for only $100. I have done a bit of research and althougth they were a great pc I am just wondering on opions as to weather or not it is worth the purchase.

The specs are

Dual Core 1.8 GHz G5
    1 GB RAM
    NVIDIA G2500 with 64MB RAM
    1 x 160GB HDD

Basically at the moment I have a tecra A9 which i use for uni work as well as all my RAW photo editing in photoshop and lightroom.

its specs are

Intel Core 2 DUO 2.5Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Intel Chipset Graphics
    1 x 250GB HDD
    Win 7

Basically when editing photos etc it grinds to a halt and can be very painful.

With an upgrade in memory would it be better than my tecra? Also, what are the limitations of the powerpc and will it be totally obselete soon?

What do you think, purchase or not?

Thanks in Advance,
    Danny

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    For $100 it is worth it just to have a play with OSX

It could do with some more ram, but what model is it, an Imac or a tower (that would be a bargain)

While the G5 chip is a little old, you may find a G5 Mac with 2 gig or more of Ram a better photo editing machine, OSX is generally zippier and the mac will not suffer from the memory limits of 32 bit windows. Even 32 bit OSX can give each application 4 gig, rather than be limited to 3-4 gig for the whole system.

I would consider it at that price - just or OSX alone
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Your Mac's Specs
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    That sounds like a really good deal to me. The G5 may be a bit limited, but that can still be used as a main computer for somebody that doesn't do extremely CPU intensive tasks. Also, more Ram may help, but it's probably not going to rival an Intel computer in terms of speed.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Be aware it is NOT a Dual Core but probably a Dual processors and the early model 1.8GHz G5's did have logic board and power sup[ply problems. Do not compare it to your Intel PC. Intel is much, much faster than PowerPC.

A Mac Pro would be the equivalent, or faster, of your Tecra. And G5's are obsolete now if you are outlaying cash as they cannot run the latest operating system.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl..._1.8_dp_2.html

You could run most of South America with it. When it comes to older computers its what your going to do with it. My Mom does a ton of office stuff on a tray load iMac for her clubs...thats all it does with no problems.

You have to ask yourself...will it be usefull?
    In my opinion, G5 was the most problematic processor of the series. It ran very hot and led to all kinds of problems. 64mb of VRAM won't get you much either. All in all I don't think this is a good deal because the computer is pretty much outdated in all but the most simple applications. If you want to run Word, basic email web browsing, use iTunes then it might be good.

My verdict...don't waste your money on outdated tech

Hi all and thanks alot for your responses so far,

I am aware it is the two processors rather than dual core. What are the effects of this, i.e I would have thought that it was actually better as they are two totally separate units. Also I have heard because the RAM is controlled by each individual processor that it can be faster. Is this correct?

I intend on upgrading the RAM to 4GB (the max it can handle) will this by any chance give it some advantage over my Tecra.

The applicatiosn I need to use are as follows:
    Lghtroom 2
    Photoshop CS4
    Illustrator CS4
    InDesign CS4
    Dreamweaver CS4
    Bridge CS4
    Itunes
    Office 2008
    Maxon Cinema 4 D
    Safari

Any thoughts on the sucessfulness of this?

Cheers Danny

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Same answer regarding Tecra. Intel machines will always be much, much faster than a dated G5 PowerPC.

Memory will work only at its maximum rated speed. Nothing will make it work faster or quicker or better.

Overall it is a pretty good computer if your demands are not too heavy with no video, photographic editing etc and no gaming expectations. Remember it is a slow, old processor with extremely limited graphics and a 64MB graphics card is dinosaur like compared to modern cards with 512MB/1GB DDR3+ memory.

Misleading people is bad!
    A friend recently asked me about the g5. He told me that he had read online that the g5 is not a good purchase. A google search brought me here, as I'm sure it does many others looking for information about the g5.

Since people rely on information coming from sites like this, I had to come here and give them some, since no one else seems to be offering anything worthwhile.

I bought a g5 in 2005 brand new. I use an old apple 20" cinema display. I think my g5 has 1.5 gigs of ram and it is the 2.0 model. Do I sound like a moron describing my Mac? That's because I am. You know why I don't even know the specs? Because I bought it a long time ago, I've forgotten and I don't need to know or even try to find out. I don't even have time to click the apple symbol because I'm too busy building dynamic websites and new video projects...

So here I am in 2011, knocking out web projects left and right with my old, outdated, and, according to most of you, worthless g5. I run final cut pro 4 and I use cs3...and I can do everything you can do. Sure, a photoshop file might take, oh I don't know, a few seconds longer to open, but guess what? It doesn't matter. I also use pro tools for audio recording and editing and I never ever have a single issue.

So, to anyone looking for solid info about picking up a g5 and being concerned with it's performance: don't worry about it. You don't have to have the best and newest hardware or software to be just as productive as people using the new macs. Until adobe or apple releases some kind of ground-breaking change(s) to their software, I'll be sitting here using my "worthless" system.

Your Mac's Specs
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by Unthinkable View Post
    So here I am in 2011, knocking out web projects left and right with my old, outdated, and, according to most of you, worthless g5. I run final cut pro 4 and I use cs3...and I can do everything you can do. Sure, a photoshop file might take, oh I don't know, a few seconds longer to open, but guess what? It doesn't matter. I also use pro tools for audio recording and editing and I never ever have a single issue.
    As a hobby, a PS file taking a second or two longer to open is nothing. A 5 hour Video render time vice a 30 min one is no big deal. Time is cheap when you are doing it for fun. If you are using the machine to make money however, time is money and that extra time can mean extra money.

I used a Quad G5 for years for everyday computing and as well as PS and Video use for fun. The i3 runs circles around it for everyday task and for heavy lifting. If you choose to remain in the past and waste both time and money (if you are a professional) then that is your choice but don't come here and pee on my leg and then tell me it's raining. The bottom line here , which many folks like you seem to willfully choose to ignore is this: the PPC architecture is DEAD. It's never coming back. Period. End of discussion. As the software moves on you will increasingly be left behind. When the next big new thing from Adobe (or whomever) does finally come along, it will never (and I mean NEVER) work on that PPC you are clinging to and you will have a tough, and expensive, choice to make. It might be tomorrow, it might be in 2 years, but it will come and you will be stuck in the past.

That being said though, if your G5 works for you, then good for you.

Apple has rendered the G5 useless!
    Please keep in mind I have owned a mac for 1 day now. I just purchased a G5, 3.5 gb ram, 1.8 ghz dual processors, 160 gb harddrive for $137 on ebay. Considering the specs blow all of my PCs away I was stoked! I started trying to install the new OSx Lion and found out it is only compatible with, THIS IS KEY, "Intel Based Macs"! So I thought, thats okay I will just download xcode (the reason I bought a mac, sorry!) and go about my business. Well guess what, Xcode is only compatible with Snow Leopard and up....I guess and Snow leopard is only compatible with "Intel Based Macs". So I decide I want to use the mac for netflix........you guessed it........NETFLIX is only compatible with "INTEL BASED MACS" AHHHHHHHHH WTF did I miss something of has Apple and everyone else say screw you if you want to own a 6 year old Mac?!?!?

I have 2 PCs that are 7-8 years old that are compatible with **** near everything!!!!!!!! Not trying to steal the thread but if Im missing something please help!

Your Mac's Specs
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by durrettcustoms View Post
    Please keep in mind I have owned a mac for 1 day now. I just purchased a G5, 3.5 gb ram, 1.8 ghz dual processors, 160 gb harddrive for $137 on ebay. Considering the specs blow all of my PCs away I was stoked! I started trying to install the new OSx Lion and found out it is only compatible with, THIS IS KEY, "Intel Based Macs"! So I thought, thats okay I will just download xcode (the reason I bought a mac, sorry!) and go about my business. Well guess what, Xcode is only compatible with Snow Leopard and up....I guess and Snow leopard is only compatible with "Intel Based Macs". So I decide I want to use the mac for netflix........you guessed it........NETFLIX is only compatible with "INTEL BASED MACS" AHHHHHHHHH WTF did I miss something of has Apple and everyone else say screw you if you want to own a 6 year old Mac?!?!?

I have 2 PCs that are 7-8 years old that are compatible with **** near everything!!!!!!!! Not trying to steal the thread but if Im missing something please help!
    You haven't missed anything, Apple has moved on from the PPC architecture. It is what it is. When they made the decision to radically change the architecture some years ago they made it very clear that there would only be a relatively short period of time for transition and 5 years seems to have been it. MS has been loath to cut of support for anything and this has caused them a world of compatibility issues with hardware and Apps. Apple isn't making the same mistake. Don't worry, the Lion update just released won't work on the first generation of Intel based Macs either, CD machines can only go as far as Snow Leopard.

Sorry you made a purchase you might regret, but research is the key.

Lies do not become us!
    5 hour for G5, 30 minutes for Intel.....Uhhhh...no.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by Unthinkable View Post
    5 hour for G5, 30 minutes for Intel.....Uhhhh...no.
    Excuse me, iMac G5 2.1 Ghz, Converting a Video to DVD format, 3 hours G5 and OLD First Gen 1.66 Core Duo Intel Mini 24 minutes for the SAME FILE with the SAME application and settings. Come visit me and I will show you.

This thread is not about an imac, and that's not what I'm talking about...I guess I have to spell it out....Powermac...Dual Core....Also, I don't discuss charts, I don't discuss specs...I discuss experience...So, using Final Cut Pro 4 on my Powermac, HD files and all, guess what (gasp!) I have never had to wait hours for rendering. BTW, I'm typing this on an intel macbook!

Let me clear something up since so many here seem to be hard-headed....I am not against Intel Macs, I have 2 myself...I am not against people using the newest hardware and software available...I am not "clinging" to my current powermac because I am in some sort of denial...

What I am doing is telling people that are interested in purchasing a powermac G5 dirt cheap that it IS OKAY to do so...

Look at the context and the original question...now look at the responses...It's misinformation, plain and simple. "It's okay to get a G5 as long as you are only going to be sending email and surfing the web..dur dur.." That's RUBBISH!!!! And anyone here using a Mac that has half a brain cannot disagree! Come on, get real.

The G5 is a powerful computer and can certainly hold its own. My G5 has never taken hours and hours to render a video. You really going to compare a Mac Mini to a G5??? Come on! That's stupid ridiculous! My Intel macbook is NOT faster than my G5...My Intel imac is NOT faster than my G5...which is why I still use my G5!!!!!!

Here's the bottom line, and I'm speaking to anyone that reaches this thread because they are interested in a G5...As of 2011, the G5 is a very powerful computer, and can easily handle video, audio, and graphics. And that, my hard-headed friends, can't be denied.

Sure, you can tell someone to go with a newer mac...but a nice G5 can be had for $150. And it can eat through tasks now, just like it could when you were all drooling over it the day it was released...

Thread Information