Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Cool Intel mac pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    Go back over to the hipster thread at MR, you have to remember that not everywhere are they cheap..This is the one I bought.

Power Mac G5 Quad 4x 2,5 GHZ 10TB Ram 660 Fest Maus+Tastatur, Remchingen - Apple-Computer kaufen und verkaufen über private Kleinanzeigen

I paid 480 euro...
    Skip the mini. $400 will get you a first gen intel mac pro. Quad core 2.66 is a good deal. Upgrading to 5770 card will land you a machine that runs cs6 and lightroom 4 as well as aperture 3. Not sure about moutain lion but it should run lion.

Quote Originally Posted by roblife View Post
    Skip the mini. $400 will get you a first gen intel mac pro. Quad core 2.66 is a good deal. Upgrading to 5770 card will land you a machine that runs cs6 and lightroom 4 as well as aperture 3. Not sure about moutain lion but it should run lion.
    $400 won't buy you any Mac Pro here..

I have a first Gen upgraded to 8 core and now a 4,1 flashed to 5,1..

The G5 quad is still the best out of all of them.
    Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
    MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +

Powermac G5 - Still A Good Computer?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    IMHO, both the 2.5 GHz G5 Quad and the 2.3 GHz G5 Dual are both still darn good machines. About a year and a half ago, I bought a G5 Quad on eBay for about $400 and made a few upgrades. I installed an SSD boot volume and 500 GB main drive and brought the RAM up to 8 GB. I put a fresh install of 10.4 Tiger on it, and loaded it up with all my favorite PPC applications. I used that machine as my main computer (email, web browsing, music, pretty heavy handed Photoshop [CS3] photo editing, web site creation and maintenance and so on) for 9 months and I loved it.

After 9 months of heavy use, I bought a new iMac 27", simply because I have always loved the beauty of the iMac display and was finally able to afford it. The iMac is now my main computer, but I continue to use my G5's (I have both the "new" G5 Quad I mention above and my original G5 Dual 2.3 from back in 2006) regularly for almost everything but iTunes, which regrettable Apple has ceased to support on the G5s.

Wonderful machines, fast, solid and so unique.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS High Sierra
    I think that the Powermac G5 will be pretty good but if you want all the modern features, you're gonna have to choose something else other than OS X. The only thing I know of now that will work with a PPC chip is FreeBSD.

That's pretty decent alright, considering that you can customise the installation easily and choose the stuff you only need.
    Once You've had Mac, you can't go back.... So very true.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, she obviously never met Steve Jobs..
    Julz - The Panther

Your Mac's Specs
    "Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display
    a couple of posts back it was suggested that CS3 was the newest version of PS you could run on a G5. i have a late 2005 G5 2.3 dualcore & mine runs CS4 & LR2 no problem at all.
    what i would like to know though is if there is anything i could do to make CS4 recognise the RAW files from my D800?
    the only program i have that seems to be able to open them is Aperture 3 that i have on my late 2007 MBP but as soon as i try to open a file it just stops. dead.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacPro 5,1 - 2 x 3.46GHz, 128GB; MacPro 1,1 - 2 x 3GHz DC, 32GB; PowerMac 7,3 - 2 x 2GHz PPC, 8GB
    Quote Originally Posted by roblife View Post
    Will not run past 10.7 without some geek-tweaking that most people are not into attempting. But that said, they are still awesome! I do LOVE the G5 that I work with too, but it has been relegated to data storage and it does just fine in its role.

I'm using a PPC G5 to type this.
    This PPC G5 won't run the most current apps, but things like Ableton Live 8 suite, and Final Cut Pro 5 amongst others will still easily product professional quality audio and video. The funny thing is even though Youtube supports 4k video most of the users on Youtube can still only view video in 1080p. Thanks to the recession no one is really going out and buying 4k displays. Most people's internet is also too slow for a 4k stream. You need a dedicated 25mb downstream connection. That means 25mb at all times, and no deviation in its speed.

I have Office 2008 and besides the interface and a few other things changing. It's till produces easily readable docx files, and the same goes for every other popular office app. About the only thing I see that should be done to the computer to make it run as fast online as any other more modern mac is to max out the memory, install an SSD, and install the fastest graphics card. Things which today will probably cost around $200-300. I also just love how it looks since Apple was one of the few companies in its day (not like it's dead or anything) to learn from the principles of aerodynamics in designing their cases. I worked on computers for a while, and it amazed me at how horribly designed cases and computers were. The airflow was horrible. Components thrown into a generic box with at the most a pretty front facade that wasn't totally boxy and garish.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    As this thread was started in 2010 I doubt if this is much of an issue or even if the OP still has a G5.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information