Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Question Help transfering files/programs from emac (10.3.9) to new imac (10.6.4) with ethernet
    Yes, it's the last two words in the title that are causing the problem, I'm sure. I thought I'd come here and query the great knowledge base that is Mac Forums before going to the nearest city (which is a a pretty good haul) and buying a firewire cable that I'll use one time.

So, I have an old eMac, (700 MHz PowerPC G4 / 768 MB SDRAM running OSX 10.3.9) that I have actually been using to supplement my income by doing freelance print and web design for the past 8+ years. I finally acquired a new machine (27" iMac 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB 1067 MHz RAM running OSX 10.6.4) to work on, but all my files, programs, etc. are on the old machine.

I have an ethernet cable and a Linksys router. Who is valiant enough to guide me through this seemingly impossible challenge? lol. Seriously, any help/guidance will be very much appreciated.

Help transfering files/programs from emac (10.3.9) to new imac (10.6.4) with ethernet
    Your Mac's Specs
    Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
    Plug them in to each other with the Ethernet, turn on filesharing (system prefs > sharing) Go get your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fodge View Post
    Plug them in to each other with the Ethernet, turn on filesharing (system prefs > sharing) Go get your stuff.
    Thanks for replying, Fodge. I have plugged them into one another since my first post, and I can see the eMac under "shared" in the iMac Finder. However, the only eMac folder it is allowing me to even see on the iMac is one called "Drop Box" and the iMac is telling me that "The folder “Drop Box” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

I feel like I am approaching the precipice of success, I just need someone to come along and push me into it.

*Edit: I was connected as "guest". When I connected as myself, with my password, it let me in. Sweet! I think the problem is solved!

Thread Information