Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is this a good deal on a G5?
    Your Mac's Specs
    20" iMac G5 at 2.0 Mhz, upgraded to 1.5GB RAM from 0.512GB, 250GB, DVD burner, Leopard
    I know nothing about iMacs, but here is the info on it...

20" iMac G5 at 2.0 Mhz, upgraded to 1.5GB RAM from 0.512GB, 250GB hard drive, DVD burner, and it does have 'Leopard' installed as it's operating system along with iLife (iPhoto, iTunes, etc) and Microsoft Office.

$375.

Our uses would be:

Internet
    Children (4 and 5 years old) learning how to use a computer
    Children playing internet games
    Uploading photos to internet
    Me (adult) using it for internet
    Me using it for uploading photos

Anything else would just be icing on the cake. I would love to do stuff with my photos more, and possibly some cute blog or photo scrapbooking.

I have Toshiba Laptop (3 almost 4 years old), that is running super slow, and is driving me crazy. The power cord needs to be replaced as well. I was initially wanting this G5 for my kids, but now I am thinking about making it a family computer we all use.

I am on the internet literally all day long, so that really is the most important thing to me

Eventually we will get a new Macbook, or new iMac, but finances can not handle that right now. So since this opportunity was presented to me from a trusted person I am ready to pounce of course, just want to make sure this is a good deal.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Yes if all the discs come with the machine.

Your Mac's Specs
    nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
    Sounds a good price and will do everything you've listed there with ease.

Your Mac's Specs
    20" iMac G5 at 2.0 Mhz, upgraded to 1.5GB RAM from 0.512GB, 250GB, DVD burner, Leopard
    Ok, well, now I am going to get greedy and say... What won't it be able to do for me? Or what are my restrictions?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The only restrictions I can think of are not being able to run Windows (Boot Camp, Fusion, Parallels) and programs designed for an Intel only CPU (of which more are appearing).

Regards.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    .I have the 2.1Ghz 20" iSight iMac which was the model right after that machine and the last Power PC iMac made. I use it as my day to day machine for 95% of my work. That last model took 2.5GB DDR2 Ram and that is what I have installed. Still using the original 250GB drive with a 1TB FW400 external.

Only thing it will not do is play 1080p HD smoothly. Everything else is fine.

Like was said, no Windows, no Bootcamp but that part really does not bother me in the least. And yes, I do have a C2D Mac and use it for Video Conversion and encoding and some other very CPU intensive things, but everything else I do is on that 2.1Ghz iMac G5 iSight.

It's running 10.5.8 but the latest version of Flash strains it a bit with some You Tube videos but it's still very useable even with those.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, since most of everything you last two posters have said has completely gone over my head, I think I am going to be cool with the G5. LOL

Fusions? Bootcamp? FW400 external? Parallels? Oh my!

Be gentle on the noob. Purdy please. :p

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    Well, since most of everything you last two posters have said has completely gone over my head, I think I am going to be cool with the G5. LOL

Fusions? Bootcamp? FW400 external? Parallels? Oh my!

Be gentle on the noob. Purdy please.

Fusion, for running Windows right inside of OSX on an Intel Mac.

Bootcamp, Installs Windows in a Dual Boot with OSX on an Intel Mac. Just like running Windows on a Windows machine.

FW400. Firewire. Faster for file copy than USB 2.0. There is 400 and 800. 800 is a lot faster but 400 is still quite fast.

Parallels? Just like Fusion for running Windows right inside of OSX (Both at the same time) on an Intel Mac.

I have Windows machines here if I need Windows for anything, so not being able to run it on my G5 does not bug me in the least.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    The only restrictions I can think of are not being able to run Windows (Boot Camp, Fusion, Parallels) and programs designed for an Intel only CPU (of which more are appearing).

Regards.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but frankly I've never understood why anyone would see not being able to run Windows on a Mac as a restriction or "bad" thing.
    Just because you can install Windows natively on Intel Macs, doesn't mean that you absolutely have to.
    It boggles my mind to read threads here every day from people who are "fed up with Windows" and how they rant on about how much "Micro$oft is the sUx0rZ!!!11eleventy"... yet when they do finally get their new Mac, the first order of business they feel compelled to take care of is installing Windows on it???

Besides, as the OP pointed out:
    Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    I have Toshiba Laptop
    If he really desperately needed Windows for something, he could use that.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    I have Windows machines here if I need Windows for anything, so not being able to run it on my G5 does not bug me in the least.
    Same here. I have an old Gateway (to Hades) notebook if I ever need Windows for something (which, BTW almost never happens).

Call me old-fashioned, but to me the point of getting a Mac is to have a Mac.

Despite the popular opinion, the point of Boot Camp, Parallels or Fusion is not to have the "best of both worlds" (oh, how I loathe that expression in this context).
    The point and purpose of those options is to be able to run the occasional Windows app when needed... like maybe 1 or 2 apps tops... on an extremely infrequent basis.
    They weren't intended to be used to run Windows 20,30,40, 50% of the time or more.

I've got no real issues or problems with Windows, but if you want Windows that regularly, then you should get a machine specifically designed for and intended to primarily run the Windows OS.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Your Mac's Specs
    I use Windows for mostly 2 things, my gaming rig is XP XP SP3 and I use it like an upgradable Xbox or Playstation. That is about the only thing that ever gets done on that machine.

I use a Windows laptop on some computer or network service calls where I need say IE or a working windows machine to help troubleshoot some of the VIRUS SPyware ridden poor machines I have to fix! And no, they never back up either so I have to save it without a format! Having a working windows system there has saved me hours sometimes!

I also use a 3.06Ghz HT P4 Dell Optiplex for some video work when all my macs are crunching away and I need to start another project in a hurry or to burn copies of the edited videos for their owners.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post

Besides, as the OP pointed out:If he really desperately needed Windows for something, he could use that.

Thanks for the info. I was told by a friend yesterday to basically keep a PC around, because the school our kids will be attending may be having them do PC type things. My husband also has a PC desktop downstairs. While it is ancient it would, I'm sure, be enough for the kids.

There is always the library as well.

That G5 is well worth the price, so take the plunge and welcome 2 the world of osX it is a much smoother ride than what u r used 2. =-)

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    And the best way to run Windows is on a Windows machine is why I also keep a Dell Latitude.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, I have had it a few days and am completely in love. NEVER AGAIN will I go back to PC (besides having a pc in the home for whenever I have to have it.)

Even my husband is hooked

Thanks again everyone. I feel this was the best decision. When our finances are better, we will definitely be springing for a new iMac. In the meantime, this is running very well for me, and WAY better than my current laptop.
    Melissa - Mac Noob. G5
    Macbook Pro
    iTouch

Your Mac's Specs
    So glad you are happy with your G5. If you ever have any issues or questions please ask us.

Thread Information