Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Not good news I am afraid. The orange power button usually indicates the capacitors are having problems powering up the cathode ray tube. CRT monitors are pretty old, about ten years or so, and not worth spending money on having repaired alas.
    Thanks. I figured out the problem myself. It was that the video card an pci slot needed to get cleaned. It was dusty and such. So I took it out and blew inside and out it back in and it works again!
    Thx

Why is my powermac g4 turning on by itself?
    Well I got a new powermac g4. I shut it off when I go to bed but when I wake up its turned on. No one in my family touches it so im really wondering whats wrong.
    Is there maybe a setting the other guy had on that it turns on a a certain time?

Thx
    $BoomBoom$

Questions about a Power Mac G4
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ
    Have you looked into System Preferences>energy saver>schedule? Maybe it's set up to start itself, or resetting the PMU might help.

The PMU (Power Management Unit) is a microcontroller chip that controls all power functions for the computer. The PMU is a computer within a computer. It has memory, software, firmware, I/O, two crystals, and a CPU. Its functions is to:

-Tell the computer to turn on, turn off, sleep, wake, idle, etc.
    -Manage system resets from various commands.
    -Maintain parameter RAM (PRAM).
    -Manage the real-time clock.

1. Disconnect the power cord and check the battery in the battery holder (BT1). The battery should read 3.3 V to 3.7 V. If the battery is bad, replace the battery, wait ten seconds, and then reset the PMU (refer to the next step). If the battery is good, go to the next step.
    2. Press the PMU reset switch (S1) once on the logic board. Do not press the PMU reset switch a second time because it could stop the PMU chip from responding.

3. Wait ten seconds before connecting the power cord and turning the computer on. If the computer does not turn on, there is something else wrong with the computer.

This entire procedure resets the computer's PRAM. Be sure to reset the computer's time, date, and other system parameter settings.

Good luck $BoomBoom$

Why isn't me powermac g4 recongnizing my second internal HD?
    Well I have a powermac g4 which probably most of you know about by now since i've posted many questions about it.
    I have the main internal HD plugged in which is a 80gb HD and then I have my slave internal HD which is 160gb. I know that the powermac g4 can only read 128gb unless I get a third party product but I was wondering why it's not reading the second HD?
    It's a dual IDE cable and it's in good condition. Also I formatted it for a mac before putting it in.
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by $BoomBoom$ View Post
    Well I have a powermac g4 which probably most of you know about by now since i've posted many questions about it.
    I have the main internal HD plugged in which is a 80gb HD and then I have my slave internal HD which is 160gb. I know that the powermac g4 can only read 128gb unless I get a third party product but I was wondering why it's not reading the second HD?
    It's a dual IDE cable and it's in good condition. Also I formatted it for a mac before putting it in.
    Thx
    You seem to know about master/slave. You did set the jumper to slave.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Did you go into the Utilities menu and run Disk Utility? Does the drive show up there but just not mount?

Also with some of the AGP and the Yikes G4, Cable Select on both drives worked once for me when M/S would not. M/S always works normally for me but just this one G4 cable select solved it.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    You may need to reformat it again, from the G4, unless you have a driver like Intech's
    Intech Software Corporation : SpeedTools ATA Hi-Capacity Driver
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

How do I know if my powermac g4 is single or dual processor?
    I have a powermac g4 and was wondering if it is dual or single processor?
    The specs are:

800mhz
    AGP graphics

and I don't think anything else matters.

If you need anything else please tell me and I'll give the info to you.

Thx
    $BoomBoom$

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook
    NOTE: Merged threads with similar theme

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacMini 8.1 & 4.1, OS 10.14 & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
    Quote Originally Posted by $BoomBoom$ View Post
    I have a powermac g4 and was wondering if it is dual or single processor? 800mhz AGP graphics
    The AGP graphics G4 is single processor, but there's no 800 MHz version. The first G4 with that processor speed was the Quicksilver. [source: Mactracker]

Check About This Mac under the blue apple in the menu bar, or use System Profiler, to provide us with further information.

Unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Not good news I am afraid. The orange power button usually indicates the capacitors are having problems powering up the cathode ray tube. CRT monitors are pretty old, about ten years or so, and not worth spending money on having repaired alas.
    too bad. those crt monitors are cool collector items. be pretty hard to find a new one.

Thread Information