Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    27" screen envy for those that bought the 24" recently?
    Your Mac's Specs
    | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
    This may make some of you feel a bit better...haha! I bought my 3.06 24" in July and I know I was super envious when they launched the 27" for less money and better specs than my 3 month old machine.

I went to the apple store here in Vancouver yesterday and here's my take for all of you that recently bought a 24":

The screen is gorgeous and large but it's really only a bit wider than the 24", not any taller. My current setup of a 24" and a 23" ACD has more desktop real estate. The computer is thin, gorgeous and bright but not all THAT different other than glass to the edge and a smaller "chin". Take comfort in THAT, 24"ers!!

The quad core isn't out yet, so currently you can't get a faster machine than the 3.06 - at least for 2 or 3 more weeks haha. You CAN upgrade ram for way cheaper now though, since there are 4 slots instead of 2, but I digress, there isn't any real performance upgrade yet.

Bottom line, gorgeous as usual, just not enough features yet worth selling my 24".

The mouse? Nice for clicking and scrolling and swiping but lack of expose buttons cause a giant WTF for me. I'm sticking to the Targus for mac mouse with infrared scroll pad and 5 buttons. Apple invents the mouse but can't get it right, ever it seems.

Anyway I did feel better and my jealousy has been reduced dramatically after seeing the thing in person.

I will wait for a quad core with blu-ray player before I sell my setup.

Mac on, people....mac on.

I bought the 24 inch 3.06ghz with ATi 4850 card on launch day and waited 6 weeks for delivery.

When I spotted the 27 inch I immediately thought of upgrading but even in the top of the range quad core iMac the graphics cards is not improved and the move to quad core isn't going to make too much difference currently. In two years time when more apps are using Grand Central and Open CL then an upgrade will be worth it.

Your Mac's Specs
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    I don't have screen envy... just envy. I want the quad core, and if I got it I'd probably upgrade to the i7 version since it's only 200 bucks more.

At a 200 dollar upgrade price, I feel the speed bump per core is totally worth it, especially since it's a higher quality chip.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Aye 24" is kind of more than enough screen real estate for the most of us anyways. Talking about designers.

The Quad core is just made of win, and that's what everyone one should be envious about. >_<" Who doesn't want more computing power for less?

27&quot; screen envy for those that bought the 24&quot; recently?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
    I went in to Apple on the weekend and picked up a 27"

I wasn't able to help myself, I did post photos and things here but that post seem's to have vanished! Oh well.

There is a HUGE differance between the current model adn the previous. I still have my 24" 2.93 iMac on my desk awaiting it to be sold and the quailty of the icons even is just amazing. That obviously amounts to the resoloution of the new iMac's screen.

Everything just seem's better. True the specs are not a huge step up, but for me, my iMac was 24" 2.93 640gb hdd and 4g ram, I now have 27" 3.06 1TB and 4g ram...

I think over all the few hundred dollar fee was worth the upgrade even though my other iMac is only 7 months old i will hold onto this one for a while.

Now.. the mouse or lack there of. As a HUGE spaces user I am annoyed but still love the scrolling feature.. Its beautiful to use but lacks heaps.

I have had to revert to using F6 for spaces.

I wish a little more thought had of gone into the design but other then that it was love at first sight for me!
    Stanton ATM 6 active monitors | Canon 450D | Razer Sphex

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjiboi View Post
    I went in to Apple on the weekend and picked up a 27"

I wasn't able to help myself, I did post photos and things here but that post seem's to have vanished! Oh well.

There is a HUGE differance between the current model adn the previous. I still have my 24" 2.93 iMac on my desk awaiting it to be sold and the quailty of the icons even is just amazing. That obviously amounts to the resoloution of the new iMac's screen.

Everything just seem's better. True the specs are not a huge step up, but for me, my iMac was 24" 2.93 640gb hdd and 4g ram, I now have 27" 3.06 1TB and 4g ram...

I think over all the few hundred dollar fee was worth the upgrade even though my other iMac is only 7 months old i will hold onto this one for a while.

Now.. the mouse or lack there of. As a HUGE spaces user I am annoyed but still love the scrolling feature.. Its beautiful to use but lacks heaps.

I have had to revert to using F6 for spaces.

I wish a little more thought had of gone into the design but other then that it was love at first sight for me!
    Or you could use control 1-space x (last space), and have apps locked to spaces.

Your Mac's Specs
    | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

For you, yes...but I HAVE the 3.06, 8GB of ram and 1TB drive, so for ME other than the screen (size and resolution) there isn't much difference. Your lower spec'd 24" is quite different than mine even.

Quad will be nice though...

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
    Or you could use control 1-space x (last space), and have apps locked to spaces.
    All my apps are locked to spaces. It's just a little annoying to have to now use my left hand to change spaces when usually it can be done with my mouse!

And the only option to use spaces on the new mouse is to set spaces as 'secondary click'.. Which is fine because I dont really use my secondary button unless to open links in Safari.

I see where you are comming from thought..

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ZorroAMG View Post
    For you, yes...but I HAVE the 3.06, 8GB of ram and 1TB drive, so for ME other than the screen (size and resolution) there isn't much difference. Your lower spec'd 24" is quite different than mine even.

Quad will be nice though...
    Yeah totally then, I didnt need the HDD space, in fact I didnt need a new iMac but this upgrade should see me through a good 12 months I guess..

Being able to expand it to 16G ram will help a lot for me in the future..

you must have one **** of a machine!

Your Mac's Specs
    Opps! That was meant to be one h*ll of a machine!

Your Mac's Specs
    All my apps are locked to spaces. It's just a little annoying to have to now use my left hand to change spaces when usually it can be done with my mouse!

And the only option to use spaces on the new mouse is to set spaces as 'secondary click'.. Which is fine because I dont really use my secondary button unless to open links in Safari.

I see where you are comming from thought..
    See, I'm keyboard oriented and always have been, even on a desktop. Bonus now that I have a laptop though. Control [number] seems the best way for me to do things. I've even got my adium contacts list set to show in all spaces, and my other app windows are set in size accordingly so that the contacts list is always visible and I can always pop back to space 1 to use adium.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yeah I love my machine, even though it's no longer the latest gear...you may have seen this shot floating around, it's my current setup...

Enjoy and congrats on your 27" beaut!!

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    LOL, is green your favorite color by any chance? ^-^"

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ
    Quote Originally Posted by ZorroAMG View Post
    Yeah I love my machine, even though it's no longer the latest gear...you may have seen this shot floating around, it's my current setup...

Enjoy and congrats on your 27" beaut!!
    Yeah well, your setup is not too shabby either, pfff

I think we missed an important point here. The fact that 24" Cinema displays true 8 bit color, 16.7 million colors to be exact whereas the 27.1 inch iMac specs lists vaguely "millions of colors" which has been the case in previous iMac displays as well. 24" Cinema Display still is the flagship apple display in terms of per pixel image quality.

Apple - LED Cinema Display - Tech Specs

Apple - iMac - Technical Specifications

Thread Information