Tuned MP5T
    Mac Mini and Fan Noise
    Just heard my Mac mini fan get really loud or I think that's the fan. Any Mac mini owner or anyone know if this normal. I haven't paid much attention cause my music volume is always up and its late now so the the volume is turned down.

Mac Mini and Fan Noise

My mini is usually really quiet unless I am doing something that keeps the CPU load at high level for an extended period of time(like folding).

Mac Mini and Fan Noise
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuned MP5T
    Just heard my Mac mini fan get really loud or I think that's the fan. Any Mac mini owner or anyone know if this normal. I haven't paid much attention cause my music volume is always up and its late now so the the volume is turned down.
    The mini is usually very quite. Did the fan come way up and stay there for a long time, or did it quickly go back down again, and what were you doing when it did it? If your running some cpu intensive stuff the fans will usually come up a bit to help cool the system down, but usually it isn't but just a little bit then it goes back down. Let's hope it was the fan and not the hard drive...
    iMac Retnia 5K 27" 10.14 Mojave i7 4.2GHZ Quad-Core 16 GB 8GB video ram
    1TB Internal SSD 4TB USB3 External

MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2.7GHZ i5 8 GB ram 121 GB Flash Internal 2TB USB3

robpom
    Only noise I really hear is periodically a small "clunking" noise from within the Mini. Sounds like a pencil dropping on a notebook(sorry - thats the only way I can duplicate the sound to describe it).

Not real loud and seems to happen more when I am browsing the web.

Anyone else hear this or have any ideas?

Mac Mini and Fan Noise

Quote Originally Posted by robpom
    Only noise I really hear is periodically a small "clunking" noise from within the Mini. Sounds like a pencil dropping on a notebook(sorry - thats the only way I can duplicate the sound to describe it).
    That probably the hard drive, mine does that also.

Mac Mini and Fan Noise
    yeah my mini i owned for a week, it made a really loud noise like that too. It must be hitachi harddrive that is known for the click like in my old 700m, sounded exactly like the same problem

Mac Mini and Fan Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Tuned MP5T
    Just heard my Mac mini fan get really loud or I think that's the fan.
    Hey my mac mini does the same thing. The fan kicks on and becomes very loud, but always slows down after a few minutes.

But there was one time the fan kicked on overdrive, and continued at high speed for over ten minutes. I restarted the system and it was back to normal (barely audible). I haven't had that problem since...

VJ

Tuned MP5T
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    The mini is usually very quite. Did the fan come way up and stay there for a long time, or did it quickly go back down again, and what were you doing when it did it? If your running some cpu intensive stuff the fans will usually come up a bit to help cool the system down, but usually it isn't but just a little bit then it goes back down. Let's hope it was the fan and not the hard drive...
    I wasn't doing anything intensive. I just had Firefox, Mail, iTunes, and iChat going.

Quote Originally Posted by VakeJ
    Hey my mac mini does the same thing. The fan kicks on and becomes very loud, but always slows down after a few minutes.

But there was one time the fan kicked on overdrive, and continued at high speed for over ten minutes. I restarted the system and it was back to normal (barely audible). I haven't had that problem since...

VJ
    Yeah it lasted less then 5 minutes. Luckily I have Apple Care just incase.

gdestiny
    i have used my mac mini for about 2 months now. and it's very quiet. i can really tell because i have a PC sitting under my desk and i usually turn off the PC at night just to feel how quiet the mac mini is.

Mac Mini and Fan Noise
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Yeah, same here. My mini is in my main computer room and with that Intel Server running, I can not hear the mini at all no matter how much I stress it out. Only if I turn off the server, Music, Anything in the area, can I hear some faint sounds. It's probably the most quiet computer I have ever owned.

Anand of Anandtech did a test on the Mini and said the only thing he could really hear was the CDROM when it accessed the CD.

Thread Information