Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Scott1952
    Guest
    One more gig of ram


    I have a dual 2.0 G5 with 2.5 gis of ram I ran into a pretty good deal on some 512 sticks and was wondering,Do you guy's think I would notice that much of a performance difference?

  2. #2
    That depends on what kind of applications your running.

  3. #3
    One more gig of ram
    James's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 27, 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1952
    I have a dual 2.0 G5 with 2.5 gis of ram I ran into a pretty good deal on some 512 sticks and was wondering,Do you guy's think I would notice that much of a performance difference?
    The short answer would be, probably not. With 2.5 gigs already you are past the point you could look at the secreen and actually see a difference, not that there wouldn't be, you just wouldn't really notice it much on average usage. Now if you were into some really intensive graphic stuff or some video editing where ram really makes a difference it could be worth the extra money is time saving.

  4. #4
    One more gig of ram
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    29,842
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    If you are running a LOT of apps at the same time, and especially apps like Photoshop editing large pics, the more ram the better! For just everyday usage you would never see the difference after say 1GB. OSX like Anand in his Mac review pointed out caches apps, but you have 2GB now which is plenty for even that.

    Video Editing, Photoshop and similar apps can use a lot of RAM. It's really up to what you do on your system. Give us more details.

  5. #5
    Scott1952
    Guest
    I guess the most intence program I use would have to be Pro tools LE My friend and I get togeather on Friday nights and record our own songs,[lots of fun] We just do it for fun. Some of the tunes require 32 tracks of audio,anywhere from 5-19 plug ins . The G5 has not skipped a beat yet,but it does slow down a little when all 32 tracks and a bunch of plug ins are used, thats why I thought the ram might be a good investment.

  6. #6
    One more gig of ram
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    29,842
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1952
    I guess the most intence program I use would have to be Pro tools LE My friend and I get togeather on Friday nights and record our own songs,[lots of fun] We just do it for fun. Some of the tunes require 32 tracks of audio,anywhere from 5-19 plug ins . The G5 has not skipped a beat yet,but it does slow down a little when all 32 tracks and a bunch of plug ins are used, thats why I thought the ram might be a good investment.
    Now for that, the extra RAM might help a lot. I forgot to mention some audio projects also! I was bashed by so called Tech friends when I put 1GB in my AMD system for doing a lot of Audio Editing. I was editing single files that were over a gig each in Wave format. When it all fit in RAM it was so fast and smooth!

    For the work you do I would say get the additional RAM.

  7. #7
    Scott1952
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7
    Now for that, the extra RAM might help a lot. I forgot to mention some audio projects also! I was bashed by so called Tech friends when I put 1GB in my AMD system for doing a lot of Audio Editing. I was editing single files that were over a gig each in Wave format. When it all fit in RAM it was so fast and smooth!

    For the work you do I would say get the additional RAM.
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks for you input.

  8. #8
    One more gig of ram
    Padawan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 21, 2003
    Location
    Coruscant, Galactic Republic
    Posts
    1,185
    Your Mac's Specs
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1952
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks for you input.
    Have you tried monitoring your current memory usage to see if you're maxing-out the current 2.5 GB? I would suggest doing that before investing the money in additional RAM, since you already have quite a bit installed. I suppose it's possible that you're reaching the limits of the 2.5 GB, but if you aren't, the money spent on an upgrade would basically be wasted, and could be put to better use elsewhere. Just a suggestion though.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

    Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

  9. #9
    Scott1952
    Guest
    Opinions
    Thank you all for your advice and opinions. Scott

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WTS: 15" MBP 2.6, 200 gig 7200 rpm, 2 gig ram Mint
    By XandeR803 in forum Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 12:36 PM
  2. Will my Macbook's Ram fry if i use 1.5 gig of ram?
    By myMacBook in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
  3. FS: Mac Mini 1.42/1 gig ram/80 gig HD/combo drive/56k
    By xadawgx in forum Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 04:51 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 02:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •