View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mac Mini Overclocking FAQ

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
    Well...I tried 1.58 tonight...but it's not looking good. I don't know if it's cooling related or not...but 1.58 is freezing Xbench at the Altivec tests just like I've seen other people reporting. I'm going to remove the other resistor later and give 1.5 a try...hopefully that'll be more stable. For what it's worth...everything else seems to be running fine.

falltime
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsenerd
    Well...I tried 1.58 tonight...but it's not looking good. I don't know if it's cooling related or not...but 1.58 is freezing Xbench at the Altivec tests just like I've seen other people reporting. I'm going to remove the other resistor later and give 1.5 a try...hopefully that'll be more stable. For what it's worth...everything else seems to be running fine.
    Yeah, it may be a cooling issue. I have yet to run into any problems with my 1.58 Minis, but as well all know, all processors are different. You may want to try removing that atrocious thermal pad and throwing some AS5 on the processor instead - you'd definitely bring the temps down.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
    Well...for what it's worth...Like I said only Xbench is locking up on the Altivec tests. I can run the Altivec Fractal Carbon tests all day long and they run just fine. I just can't help but wonder if this is a true issue with Xbench and not an honest issue with the processor. Who knows...I'll slap some Artic Silver on it later and see if it helps any...maybe I'll even break out the temp probe if I get enough motivation to do it

repeater75
    For Falltime:
    On your mini OC's, were these all the same original clock speed, or a mixture? (i.e. stock 1.25's to 1.58 or stock 1.42's to 1.58?) Also, on how many that you have overclocked did you replace the thermal pad with Artic Silver paste? (I assume that's what you're referring to). On those that you didn't (if there were any) - have you seen any stability issues? In replacing the thermal pad, how is the heatsink removed from the processor? Are there any tricks to it so that you don't crack the cpu core or is that just not a concern with G4's? My Athlon has been running OC'd for over 3 years very reliably - albeit very noisily with the huge fan on that baby. I need a mini just to keep from getting a divorce! :-) Wifey hates that my comp sounds like an aircraft carrier!

Again, thanks for sharing the knowledge. It is greatly appreciated. If I can save $100 on the system by getting a 1.25 and at least getting 1.5 out of it, I can spring for a 7200 RPM 60gb Hitachi drive and my speed concerns are gone gone gone.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well...this is of course only my experience over the last few days...but I've been running my orginally 1.25 at 1.58 for a few days now. I've mastered and burned DVD's, played many tunes, surfed many a website, played around with the Altivec Fractals Carbon tests, and more...and often at the same time. I've never experienced any abnormalities with the exception of Xbench locking up at the Altivec portion of the CPU test. Beats me...but seems pretty **** stable with the exception of the bench program. I don't know about everyone else...but for me that leads me to believe that either Xbench has some sort of compatibility issue or...I'm just unable to replicate the exact process that it is using during testing in day to day operations. Either way...the computer is snappy and responsive and has failed to have any issues with day to day usage so I plan to stay at 1.58 for what it is worth.

repeater75
    mcsenerd -

Thanks for sharing your results in such detail. That is very helpful. I believe you may be on to something - that or the Xbench altivec routine is something not seen (or very rarely seen) in real-world conditions. In either event, I would do the same - stick with 1.58Ghz. Also, if you haven't taken falltime's advice and popped the heatsink off, carefully scraped any of the thermal pad off of the heatsink and rubbed a little Arctic Silver (or other similar quality thermal paste) - you definitely should. This could give you an additional 5 degrees of cooling that amounts to another year of trouble-free operation of your mini. The thermal conditions in such a small box are already a bit of a challenge as it is...

By the way, mcsenerd, what method did you use to remove the bridges for your OC? Did you use a soldering iron? If so, was it your garden variety $20 job from Radio shack? Do you have prior experience with a soldering iron? How difficult would you rate the task?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I figure others will want to know too. Nothing beats first-hand explanations for this type of thing.

repeater75
    Found some detailed mini OC results here:
    http://macminiforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178

some decent info, even if his English isn't as good as falltime's :-)

Also see:
    http://www.byodkm.net/forums/showthr...9&page=3&pp=10

repeater75
    sweet guide here with plenty of pics:

http://fastermini.com/overclock.htm

He says his full content for other upgrades is coming 3/17/05.

chuckjuhl
    Can't keep my 1.25 stable at 1.42 when running Folding@home
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsenerd
    Well...this is of course only my experience over the last few days...but I've been running my orginally 1.25 at 1.58 for a few days now. I've mastered and burned DVD's, played many tunes, surfed many a website, played around with the Altivec Fractals Carbon tests, and more...and often at the same time. I've never experienced any abnormalities with the exception of Xbench locking up at the Altivec portion of the CPU test. Beats me...but seems pretty **** stable with the exception of the bench program. I don't know about everyone else...but for me that leads me to believe that either Xbench has some sort of compatibility issue or...I'm just unable to replicate the exact process that it is using during testing in day to day operations. Either way...the computer is snappy and responsive and has failed to have any issues with day to day usage so I plan to stay at 1.58 for what it is worth.
    I have a 1.25 mini that I have overclocked to 1.42. it is stable and runs xbench fine UNTIL I run folding@home. After about 15-20 minutes of folding, the mini starts shutting down the display. Xbench also hangs on Altivec. I have even removed the stock thermal pad from the CPU and used Artic Silver 5 compund. This did not help significantly.

Any ideas? Or do i just have a weak CPU.

Deanster
    Hi all - I'm a noobie here, but a longtime Mac user. I've owned a Mac+, LC, IIci, PB180c, 520c, Power Computing something or other, G4 800 Quicksilver, G4 Dual 867, Albook 12" and 15", Xserver dual 2g G5, and now a Mini as well. Very comfortable with connecting and disconnecting, assembly and disassembly, but have never worked on surface-mount components before, and am a confirmed lousy solderer.

OK - in a burst of enthusiasm compounded by a near-complete lack of warranty-voiding concern, I decided to charge ahead and attempt the overclock on my Mini this evening, further undaunted by my complete lack of what have been identified above as critical/helpful tools.

I followed the instructions repeater75 linked above at http://fastermini.com/overclock.htm , which were excellent!

Disassembly was easy, though the AE/BT kit I'd added last week (apparently also voiding my warranty...) was fairly seriously in the way, with the flopping antennae all over the place - I just removed the entire mezzanine board to keep things easy...

After flipping over the board, it took a minute to orient myself and find the jumpers in question - it's been said before, but they're really really small.

My plan was to take advantage of the jumper scheme to test the 1.58 set-up first, removing the first and third jumpers, and then go down to 1.5 by removing jumper two if the higher speed proved problematic. My backup plan involved a trip to Radio Shack for a 'solder pen' if I needed to replace jumpers. The existing jumpers are too small for me to realistically replace with solder, and the pads are close enough together that it looks to me like a solder hacker like me could cause real trouble on the board.

I utilized the very basic household tools of a 'Sherlock Holmes' magnifying glass and my wife's high-end german angle-tip tweezers (precision-ground tips - very helpful, IMHO) to effect the jumper removal. After making sure I had the right items on the board, and taking a very deep breath, I grabbed the third jumper firmly in the tweezer tips, and pulled, which accomplished nothing - the tweezers just popped off.

Another deep breath, another firm grab, but this time I twisted the jumper, and it popped right off, very cleanly.

Move to jumper one, grab, twist, and it's off. Number one didn't separate so cleanly, and left some solder or other junk between the solder pads - a little scraping with the tweezer tips ensured that the pads were no longer connected.

I'm now, at least in theory, set up for 1.58Ghz.

Reassembly was quick and painless, especially using the tweezers to replace the LED and power switch connectors, which are otherwise a bit difficult to reach with chubby guy fingers.

Another deep breath, push the button, and...

it boots just fine - booting is MUCH faster than previously.

Xbench crashes, as others have reported. Shows 750Mhz in the system profiler, also as reported.

I ran through a battery of tests with InDesign, Mail, Photoshop, Safari, lllustrator, etc. All seem a bit snappier than before, though not wildly so, and all ran well. I'd put the speed increase at 'clearly present, but not dramatic'. I've now got the Mini just running, to see if it starts to run hot, or if other problems pop up. Going on three hours now, no visible problems.

Next step is to go get some Arctic Silver, and do that part of the upgrade.

More reports as I live with the system for a while, and see if any problems crop up.

All in all, it seems like the three required elements are: a really good set of tweezers, a magnifying glass, and a serious shot of boldness. Once I'd resigned myself to not attempting to remove the jumpers in a way which would allow a replacement attempt, and added the twisting motion to pop them off the board, the actual removal was very easy. I think it would be MUCH harder to attempt to fiddle around with a ColdHeat or soldering iron, major magnifying loupe, etc... perhaps more complicated than it needs to be.

I'll post mroe with my actual usage experience in a few days.

Hope this helps! Let me know if there's any questions I can answer...

Thread Information