Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lorn
    Why does the mouse lag on Macs?

I'm not hallucinating. The mouse lags (original apple mouse, intellimouse explorer 3) on my Powermac G5, iBook and eMac. Why is this? Is there any way around it? There is a definite delay in response in my mouse movements. Anyone else experience this? Is this just another mac thing?

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
    No problem here. Did you check your System Preferences/Mouse options to see that the Tracking isn't set to low?

You still might be hallucinating even without the "Mouse" thing. With that much acupuncture you have to be having some pretty weird dreams. Doesn't that hurt?
    I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.

Your Mac's Specs
    G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
    No propbs here either. Sounds a bit wierd, maybe there's something up with the USB port you're using?
    I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
    http://johnny.persistentperil.net

archer75
    I noticed the same thing. Along with a jerky scroll speed and text taking a second to appear after I type it. I'm getting the felling that mac users are just use to this and don't see it as an issue.

I've talked to a number of people all recently switched to macs who complain of the same thing.

Your Mac's Specs
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.7.5 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.11.6 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by archer75
    I noticed the same thing. Along with a jerky scroll speed and text taking a second to appear after I type it. I'm getting the felling that mac users are just use to this and don't see it as an issue.

I've talked to a number of people all recently switched to macs who complain of the same thing.
    That is not a common problem.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

No problems on either my Power Mac G5 or the iMack G5, no lag or drag or time lapse anywhere here.

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorn
    I'm not hallucinating. The mouse lags (original apple mouse, intellimouse explorer 3) on my Powermac G5, iBook and eMac. Why is this? Is there any way around it? There is a definite delay in response in my mouse movements. Anyone else experience this? Is this just another mac thing?
    Trust me..If the mouse actually did commonly lag on the Mac platform, macintosh would indeed not be the standard choice for graphic designers..

That is either a problem with your mouse(I don't like Microsoft mice, but that's just me) or a problem specific to your computer. This is NOT a problem on the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorn
    Mine sometimes feels a bit laggy, the scroll wheel is where I really notice it acting odd, it isn't very smooth. My tracking speed and scroll speed are set to the max but I wish I could set it higher.

Actually now that I have been paying attention to it, it isn't laggy, it uses what Windows calls mouse acceleration which I turn off, where if you move you mouse an inch really fast it can take the cursor from one side of the screen to the other, while if you move it an inch really slow, it'll only move the cursor a fraction of the way across the screen.

Badger
    On (much) older macs the input delay was a symptom of a hardware problem. On modern Macs the input - typing or mouse movement - should start immediately even when response time is set to slow. The only time I've seen this is when something else is interferring with the input (such as a program in the background) or when the mouse is not tracking well on the desk surface.

I just installed the microsoft software for my mouse, it feels a lot better now, I can actually adjust the scroll to a fast enough speed. It also enabled me to use the other 2 buttons, which I had become very used to.

When I first got my PowerMac (first Mac) I noticed the same "problem." The Mac handles mouse acceleration much differently than the PC. The mouse isn't nearly as responsible, and if you trying moving the mouse at a slow speed, the mouse crawls painfully slow. This can be corrected with a utility called USB Overdrive. It is what I am using to have the mouse work like it would in Windows. This is expecially important when gaming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RW’s | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

Lorn
    Quote Originally Posted by archer75

I think you're right. I had been using PCs for about 7 years until I started working on an eMac machine - noticed the mouse immediately. After that I got myself an iBook - noticed the mouse immediately. I then took the plunge and got my dual G5 system and STILL noticed it. I had used ALL of the original mice for all of the Apple systems, but the Micrsoft mouse also exhibits the same problem.

JRJ26
    and i've used windows PCs forever, and got my first apple computer(PowerBook G4) last summer, and I haven't noticed any difference.

The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Your Mac's Specs
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
    Quote Originally Posted by JRJ26
    and i've used windows PCs forever, and got my first apple computer(PowerBook G4) last summer, and I haven't noticed any difference.
    Same here, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I use PCs and Macs on a daily basis and have never been bothered by any difference.

Amen-Moses

Thread Information