Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

idlingmike
    Dual G4 500mhz or single 1ghz
    I tried a forum search without much luck. I'm looking to buy my first mac. Didn't want to spend too much for now, looking at stuff in my price range I'm finding a lot of ~1ghz G4's and I'm also finding a lot of dual 450-500mhz processor machines. Didn't want to go minimac because it seems a bit limiting, plus I like having a lot of ram which starts to make it a pretty pricey setup.

I was hoping to get some input on which is a better way to go. I really don't do any gaming whatsoever. I don't do any super CPU intensive things. 99% of the time I will probably have a lot of apps open, mainly web browser, excel, playing mp3's & watching divx encoded movies while working. I do some light photoshopping, but that seems to support dual processor quite well.

Thanks for reading.

I would suggest the mini mac, but don't get the ram as a BTO option, upgrade it yourself later, a GB of ram is going to be expensive for a Dual 450mhz also.

idlingmike
    Thanks for replying and normally I would agree, but since I already have 1.5gb of sdram in a computer that really won't be used very much after I get a mac, it really makes more sense for me to take the non-minimac route. That, plus all my existing stuff is internal, 4 drives, dvd+/-rw, I really don't want to make all this crap external.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameis
    I would suggest the mini mac, but don't get the ram as a BTO option, upgrade it yourself later, a GB of ram is going to be expensive for a Dual 450mhz also.

Quote Originally Posted by idlingmike
    I already have 1.5gb of sdram in a computer that really won't be used very much after I get a mac,
    Are you going to move that ram to the mac you get? A single G4 1Ghz takes DDR ram, but a Dual 450mhz would take SDRAM.

Thread Information