Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: Just got a G5

Just got a G5
    Hey guys,
    I just got a used g5 from my girlfriend who bought it on craigslist. The powermac doesn't have a harddrive and when i hook it up to my screen nothing shows up, it says "no connection detected". I don't know if it is because the computer doesn't have a harddrive or if the video card is bust.
    Please help, I don't have anywhere to turn to!!!!!!

Just got a G5
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    You need to first install a hard drive, then an operating system, after which you'll be able to see if it's OK. In the meantime do you have an operating system disk to try to boot the machine with?

Regards.

No, the only cd i got is the "additional software & Apple hardware Test" cd.
    Can i check if the video card is functional with this cd? Also how would i be able to open the cd drive? ( sorry for asking such a stupid question but I've never had a powermac)
    Thanks in advance,
    Paul

Just got a G5
    Your Mac's Specs
    Imac 24, Macbook 13
    To open the CD drive... Power up the system and press the eject button on the draw.

Like i said before, my computer doesn't have a harddrive so i can't open it through the computer. I think i have to get a paperclip and open it manually, but i'm not sure. Also, if i don't have a harddrive, can i still use the "additional software & apple hardware test" cd to check if my video card is working? I turn my computer on and everything seems to work great except i get a blank screen on my lcd. I don't know if this is because i don't have a harddrive or if the video card is bust. I know these are a lot of questions but i have no idea how macs work.

Just got a G5
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
    Even if you don't have a hard drive installed the system should still power up and show video, if only to display a flashing question mark on the screen when it can't find a bootable disk. At the very least you should get some kind of grey screen or other visual to show that the computer is at least trying to boot up.

Check all the connections to the monitor and also check to make sure the video card is seated correctly on the motherboard. While you are in there, check the RAM and any other internal connections, just to make sure nothing else is missing or disconnected.

Good luck!

Thank guys for your replies. Does anyone know how i can test the video card to check if that's the culprit? Once again, thanks for everyone's help

Quote Originally Posted by Mac-Newbie View Post
    Thank guys for your replies. Does anyone know how i can test the video card to check if that's the culprit? Once again, thanks for everyone's help
    You can open up the case and remove the graphics card and then just re-seat it. Real simple. After you do that when you push the power button, quickly push the Apple key and the Option key and P and R hold those down and you should hear the chime again.
    Oh yeah, when you push the power button does it chime? If it doesn't, it could be a graphics problem. Anyway, try the above.

Just got a G5
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
    Boot up with the Hardware test cd. If it actually displays, it can give you some answers. It should work, regardless if there is a HDD of not.
    When all else fails, try everything!
    The Rep System and you.
    Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

Thread Information