Seriously Considering A Mac Pro...

Reaction score
Hey All!

I have been using PC's/Windows for a long time now. Due to the recent changes in technology, I have been drawn to the new Mac machines and OSX (plus I dont like the way how Vista is turning out as the standard PC users "upgrade" OS so to speak, what with all of the hard/software issues arising and XP support ceasing).

Overall, I'm wanting something new with great performance and that can last for a good few years before even considering some kind of hardware upgrade. I was going to build a new PC from scratch, however circumstamces have led me to the perspective on the new Mac/OSX configurations. I have been doing plenty of research on things, however I need some expert opinions on a few points before I set anything in stone:

1. I will be using my computer for personal, business, and media related purposes. For this, I need three seperate boot partitions in order to organise things nicely. Would something like this be easily as possible with OSX as it is with Windows? Or, due to the performance of Mac's nowadays, would it see more sense just to stick with the single boot partition and organise things as per this?

2. I have read this on the Apple site already, but can someone please clarify that Leopard is a 64 bit OS which CAN support 32 bit applications, unlike Windows?

3. Money is no object for this machine (I will be using it for personal and business equally), however would purchasing a 3.2ghz 8x processor justify not purchasing a 3.0ghz 8x or less processor? Ideally, I will need exceptional performance due to the software I will be using at any one time (CS3, audio/sequencing and mastering programs, and various other multimedia applications). Thoughts/opinions?

4. As far as the Internet goes, will it be the same procedure as per PC installation? ie, install modem/router and drivers from ISP CD? Would it be advisable to contact my ISP for more information regarding Mac support on this matter?

5. Again, this may be a third party based question, but any additional help would be beneficial. I plan on buying one of these (havent decided which one exactly yet) for use with multimedia applications. I also plan on hooking a TV up to use as a secondary display. Would this work fine with a Mac technically as part of a dual screen setup?

6. To what degree would my MS Office programs be compatible with Mac software? Would I need to buy the MS Office Mac version, or would the Mac equivalent (I forget the name) be sufficient? I mainly use Word Docs, Excel Sheets, and occasionally Publisher and Powerpoint.

7. Does Mac support Blue Ray/HD DVD and is the optical drive that comes with the machine either of the two?

8. Is there anything else a heavy PC user should know about Mac's in comparison to how Windows functions before switching completely?

Many thanks in advance! Looking forward to hear your responses.

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
Welcome Matt. Lots of deep questions - I can't answer all as I'm pretty new to Mac myself. I'm sure others will chime in.

1. I will be using my computer for personal, business, and media related purposes. For this, I need three seperate boot partitions in order to organise things nicely. Would something like this be easily as possible with OSX as it is with Windows? Or, due to the performance of Mac's nowadays, would it see more sense just to stick with the single boot partition and organise things as per this?

It really depends on how you want to manage it. Some people like different partitions because it provides a higher level of manageability, others like one giant partition. I fall into the latter category. Your backup strategy should be a consideration when trying to figure out how you set this up; make sure you have backup models that fit with your key data partitions.

2. I have read this on the Apple site already, but can someone please clarify that Leopard is a 64 bit OS which CAN support 32 bit applications, unlike Windows?

I'm pretty sure that is the case but it's not an issue like it is with Windows. Need someone else to clarify this one.

3. Money is no object for this machine (I will be using it for personal and business equally), however would purchasing a 3.2ghz 8x processor justify not purchasing a 3.0ghz 8x or less processor? Ideally, I will need exceptional performance due to the software I will be using at any one time (CS3, audio/sequencing and mastering programs, and various other multimedia applications). Thoughts/opinions?

If money is no object the 3.2GHz is probably the way to go, but getting an 8 processor system is by itself a large investment. Technically you can upgrade processor later when they are cheaper but in 24 years of using personal computers I haven't done that yet; I always just get the next gen platform. One key though - get the minimum RAM from Apple and upgrade that in the aftermarket. It will save you an extraordinary amount of money.

4. As far as the Internet goes, will it be the same procedure as per PC installation? ie, install modem/router and drivers from ISP CD? Would it be advisable to contact my ISP for more information regarding Mac support on this matter?

You shouldn't have to install modem/router drivers unless you are using some odd ISP that requires something. Who is your ISP? Most just need a TCP/IP stack, which all Windows and Mac machines have. Usually when an ISP wants to have you install custom software it's because they are trying to get a foothold on your machine. I would try to just connect to your ISP as a gateway to the internet if at all possible.

5. Again, this may be a third party based question, but any additional help would be beneficial. I plan on buying one of these (havent decided which one exactly yet) for use with multimedia applications. I also plan on hooking a TV up to use as a secondary display. Would this work fine with a Mac technically as part of a dual screen setup?

It should, though you may be better off simply buying individual displays yourself and hooking them up to your Mac. Each video card supports 2 monitors. While the digitaltigers displays look impressive the LCDs have a pretty slow response time (11ms); you can get other monitors that have times in the 5ms range.

6. To what degree would my MS Office programs be compatible with Mac software? Would I need to buy the MS Office Mac version, or would the Mac equivalent (I forget the name) be sufficient? I mainly use Word Docs, Excel Sheets, and occasionally Publisher and Powerpoint.

If you are heavy into MS Office you can get the newest version of MS Office for Mac and get pretty close to complete compatibility. You can also check out Pages and Numbers (iWork) and see if that meets your needs first. They will be on your Mac in trial form. Try that before you buy Office.

7. Does Mac support Blue Ray/HD DVD and is the optical drive that comes with the machine either of the two?

No idea - anyone?

8. Is there anything else a heavy PC user should know about Mac's in comparison to how Windows functions before switching completely?

This forum is full of people and their experiences - you picked a great place to get feedback on making the switch. I've also been blogging about making the switch myself - you only get to be a new switcher once. Hopefully you'll find some useful information in there.

I would just browse through the Switcher Hangout threads. Lots of great information in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
If you're really that heavy into PC hardware and very knowledgeable, a lot (a LOT) of your questions are answered on the Apple website and the MP's configuration page.

Heavy PC user here, built a few of my own high-end models including water and phase cooling at least two. Let's make this quick.

1. Just personal and business? I think the MP is too much of a powerhouse for you. True, you want to not upgrade in a few years but if money is no object for you and you're just willing to throw it away without much research, it sounds, then I'm believing you'll be doing the same thing with your new MP as soon as anything comes out. I'd really look into an iMac. Trust me when I say it's better than you think. This is a lifetime Windows power user talking here.

That being said, partition as you desire. I do graphic art, music creation, creative advertising, and 3d creation on my MP. Use your hard drives as you see fit.

2. If you've read it, why do you need to hear it from us? Yes. You can. Since Panther, even.

3. Now you're saying that you're using your MP for creative purposes? If money is no object then I have no idea why you're asking whether or not you should go less for CPU-intensive (well RAM intensive as well) programs. Go all out.

4. It's simple. Tell your mac to find a connection and it'll do it. You really only have to go to your ISP if you're installing a new modem or something in my experience.

5. JUST a tv? Don't do it. Your tv has a very low resolution (highest is 800x600). Just get a second monitor. Hardforum already showed that setup with your multi-monitors would be useless. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1277312

6. To my understanding, the new Office '08 is pretty good. If you don't want to buy it go use BootCamp and use your windows MS Office.

7. Easily answered if you just look at their website. That being said, you can always buy a Blu-Ray burner. I would suggest you wait until the technology matures another few months.

8. There's plenty of places to show how different it is. Apple actually does a pretty good job in their tutorial pages. There are a few threads already on the first page of this subforum that talks about specifics. Whatever else you don't know you can always ask here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
If you can afford it, and you are going to be relying on this computer for work, then I think getting the high-end Mac Pro makes sense. A few comments to some of your questions.

Instead of partitioning the primary HD, why not just get a few more HDs and snap it into the Mac Pro's extra bays? Use each drive for data and backup. If you still want to partition the primary HD, the iPartition software has worked well for me.

Internet connectivity should not be a problem if you are using a major ISP. In fact, you will be amazed at just how simple it is to connect the Mac to the internet and to various devices. This alone leaves the Windbox in the stone ages.

If you are running CS3 for work, then you need to get a high-end monitor. I am just a hobbyist, but very demanding of color accuracy in my photo images, and invested in an Eizo monitor and color calibration device/software.

Free open-source office software is quite reliable. You can find the Mac version HERE. However, if you want to be absolutely certain about compatibility, your only choice is to invest in Office 2008 for Mac.

You will not regret for a second switching to the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
1. I need three seperate boot partitions in order to organise things nicely.
Why not just set up different accounts for these special purposes. I have a personal account, a demo account, and a business account. Switching between them is quick and easy and allows a switched out account to continue any work that it may be doing.

The disadvantage of partitions is that you will have to upgrade each one separately. That can be time consuming. Although if your software (Protools?) is sensitive to system upgrades, this maybe a wise choice.

True.

3. Money is no object for this machine (I will be using it for personal and business equally), however would purchasing a 3.2ghz 8x processor justify not purchasing a 3.0ghz 8x or less processor?
I don't know the answer, but 200MHz does'nt sound like a big boost. Go find some reviews on this.

6. To what degree would my MS Office programs be compatible with Mac software?
Microsoft has made the scripting in the new Mac Office incompatible with the PC version. Although I think the PC version will be going in the same direction. I'll believe it when I see it.

Short answer, no. Toast allows you to burn and read Blue Ray data discs if you buy an appropriate third party drive.

You'll have a learning curve as OS X is not Windows.

Reaction score
If you are heavy into MS Office you can get the newest version of MS Office for Mac and get pretty close to complete compatibility. You can also check out Pages and Numbers (iWork) and see if that meets your needs first. They will be on your Mac in trial form. Try that before you buy Office.

If I were to reformat a Mac (with Leopard), would these trial versions come back each time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.