Photo Editing software

Reaction score
What photo editing software do you guys recomend, something simple. Is aperture and the adobe programs too advanced for a rookie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
If all you want to do is edit, there's freeware: http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

If you want to keep your image files organized, and be able to quickly edit vast amounts of downloaded images, then I'd recommend something more powerful like Adobe LightRoom or Apple Aperture 2.

You can download trial versions of either software, so you should try them yourself. Both software have their advocates; it's a matter of personal preference. I use LightRoom, because I used a PC until recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Personally, I'm waiting for Elements 6 to ship, hopefully later this month. Before converting to Mac I owned several versions of Elements and the software did everything I needed to do. I'm impressed with the previews of version 6 for Mac and think this will be the best edition yet. And of course, the user interface will be much better on my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
I use adobe cs2 and now cs3 all I can say is dont be scared of them...while they are very advanced it only took me a couple of week to figure out the simple editing stuff...and the advance features are always there if you ever want to do more...which in my opinion when you start editing you always want to do more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If you are just talking about simple photo editing, then start with iPhoto, which is also a decent library application.

If you are going to be tweeking individual Pixels then check out what the others have said and or maybe some of the new tools such as Pixelmator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Try out Pixelmator. It is not as powerful as Photoshop, but it is certainly more user friendly. And cheaper.

Also check out Lightwave (I think that's what it is called).

As for Aperture/Lightroom, both those are sort of workflow oriented. You can't for instance add text to the image, cut and paste sections and all that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.