• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

dealing with MacMall

Reaction score
I think that I made a BIG mistake dealing with MacMall. They seem very "shaky" when it comes to rebates and specials.
It looks like if you forget to dot an I for cross a T, your chances of getting your rebate will be void.
Plus they mention all the "free" stuff when you buy your Mac, but again, it is all "free" after rebate and if you don't fill out the form 100% perfectly, the rebate is void.

Has anyone had any experiences with MacMall?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think that I made a BIG mistake dealing with MacMall. They seem very "shaky" when it comes to rebates and specials.
It looks like if you forget to dot an I for cross a T, your chances of getting your rebate will be void.
Plus they mention all the "free" stuff when you buy your Mac, but again, it is all "free" after rebate and if you don't fill out the form 100% perfectly, the rebate is void.

Has anyone had any experiences with MacMall?

I don't think that business practice is confined to MacMall. They are ALL sticklers for the details when it comes to mail-in rebates. That's why they don't just take a discount right off the top. Statisically speaking, the majority of customers will either forget to send the rebate in or negate the rebate in some way, or just get frustrated and give up. That's sort of what they're counting on.

Reaction score
I've never dealt with them, but I've heard good things. Why do you ask about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
They're counting on the fact 80% of people don't fill out the rebates as cwa said. They'll do anything not to give you your money back.
I'd never buy from them.

OP
nicst47
Reaction score
They're counting on the fact 80% of people don't fill out the rebates as cwa said. They'll do anything not to give you your money back.
I'd never buy from them.

I agree with you guys on that.
I think in the future that I will just deal with The Apple Store at my local mall.

OP
nicst47
Reaction score
I've never dealt with them, but I've heard good things. Why do you ask about this?

I guess that I am just trying to get some feedback from others about MacMall.
Personally, I don't like the way the entire internet store is set up.
Customer service, contacts, and rebate information is hidden and almost impossible to find.
I will just deal directly with Apple in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I wouldn't mind buying from MacMall or MacConnection if the prices are lower before rebates. I also like the fact that I wouldn't have to pay taxes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
When dealing with an on-line retailer for the first time, you should always check their satisfaction ratings.

MacMall's reseller rating is fairly abysmal. Take a look HERE.

In addition to the Apple Store, I would highly recommend Amazon. I bought both of my Macs from them, and their online rebate submission required nothing more than for me to register the information. No cutting out the product bar code or submitting the invoice, or any other nonsense.

While we're on the subject of rebates, I recently had a VERY bad experience with Kaspersky. Either they or their rebate processor are nothing short of crooks. They can't even get their lies straight. Take a look at this POST.

Reaction score
I bought both of my Macs through MacMall and if I remember correctly had rebates on shipping for both. I had good experiences with MacMall both times -- the sales person did seem a little miffed that I called to order my Mac Pro rather than ordering it online, but there were no delays or mistakes with the order and the rebates were well within the timeframe specified.

When I purchased my machines MacMall had better pricing than I could get with an education discount -- which is why I went with them. Now, I think Amazon is pretty close.

I've read quite a few complaints about MacMall since I've purchased and it seems like they are pretty hit-and-miss when it comes to service. Maybe my experiences were the exception and not the norm, but I would be somewhat apprehensive to purchase through them again after reading some of the complaints (but then again, people are more likely to complain online than they are to give kudos).

Reaction score
Poor experience with MacMall

I'd purchased an internal hdd and requested 2-day shipping using UPS. I'm not at home during the day to receive packages, and hence usually go to the pickup location to pick up the package. So I was expecting to pick up the package at my local UPS store.

However, MacMall decided to ship the item via Fedex 2-day shipping. Now, there is no Fedex pickup location near my place. I had paid Extra to use UPS 2-day instead of Fedex 2-day due to this reason.

1. How come the option to use UPS was available on the website was available when the fulfillment service provider does not have UPS available as an option, but only ships Fedex?

2. I called in customer service and had to wait 30 minutes before putting down the phone (this was during early evening). I called back customer service later at night, waited 15 minutes and this time someone did pick up the phone. However, they were not of much help besides saying the item had been shipped 2-day and I should STAY at home to receive the item!

I'm extremely unhappy with the situation, and the non-ability of the customer service agent to provide any sort of resolution. I'm trying to understand why MacMall is the #1 Apple Superstore? I've been a loyal amazon.com customer for over 5 years, purchasing multiple computers and other electronics and never had any such issues.

MacMall should try them out sometime. Maybe use amazon.com fulfillment as their provider. (I'm not a Amazon.com employee).

I'll be thinking twice before purchasing again from MacMall or recommending you to any of my friends.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.