• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How often do you backup your machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I'm curious about how often people actually do backups of their machine. Everyone knows you should if your data is important but it would be interesting to see how many people really do it regularly.

I've got Time Machine running on my MacBook so as long as the machine is plugged into my external drive via USB (curse you Airport Extreme), it's backed up hourly.

On my PCs I back up key files on a weekly basis. Time Machine's ease of use is making me rethink my personal backup strategies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Automated - Everything

It's actually *almost* everything. There's one directory containing a Linux ISO that I don't backup.

I too use TM, and it is excellent. There has been the occasion when I needed to recover something, typically one annoying little file, and it's so easy to do with TM. Frankly one should test backups once in awhile. Archiving a file is no good if retrieving it doesn't work.

I have a 500G external I connect to my MB. Most times I let it work automatically. Sometimes however I will command a backup, just because I've done something I don't want to lose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Never. I currently have one HD. I am eventually going to buy a 2nd 750GB drive and set it up RAID 1 so everything is backed up. Nothing is critical though. It's all just music and movies I already own. If the HD crashed, which has never happened to me in the 10 years I've used a modern omputer, I'd just import everything again.

OP
dalison
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
...Frankly one should test backups once in awhile. Archiving a file is no good if retrieving it doesn't work...

Yeah, I've had firsthand experience with that. Back in '89 I had just started a new gig as an IT director for a software company. We got hit by the Dark Avenger virus hard - ended up infecting nearly every file on our network. So I grabbed the backup tapes that we had been dutifully doing every night and started firing up with restoring software. Turned out it didn't work - at all. Sure, the backups reported that they were working fine but the darn thing couldn't restore ANYTHING. Fortunately we were able to use McAffee to eradicate the virus.

I was nearly eradicated from that job. I installed a new backup system the next day and tested the restores often.

Reaction score
Manual, roughly monthly unless I buy a lot of music or do a lot of work on something. I don't keep my backup drive plugged into my computer. In the event of a fire or theft, I wouldn't want to lose both of them, so automated doesn't really work for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Time Machine works well for me. 500GB external drive for a 250GB internal HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD
Call me paranoid, but I use a combination of remote backup (offsite), Retrospect over the network to a NAS and Time Machine to an external HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Backup, whats a backup?

Reaction score
Automated using SuperDuper! every night. While I don't backup EVERYTHING, I make sure that the things I do want backed up are placed in a location that gets backed-up.

I also use Time Machine -- you can't be too safe. :)

The only thing I'm missing is an off-site backup and if I ever needed that, well, I have other things to worry about than a bunch of files on a computer.

Reaction score
I absoulely would, but havnt had the money for a backup drive lately. I was going to last month. But life came up. Go college!

JRV

Reaction score
I manually backup everything once a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz C2D
Mine is semi-automated. I have Time Machine set up, but I have to remember to plug in my external hard drive. I just did right now so it's backing up as we speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I've been using Time Machine since Oct. 29th, and was using Carbon Copy Cloner prior to that on my 250GB Seagate external drive.

Every couple months, I delete my old backups on the drive, and then run a fresh backup.

Every month, I make fresh backups of all my invaluable data (Multi-Track master recordings, raw video footage, documents, photos, things I can't replace in the event of loss) on DVD-R and take them to my Grandma's house, 30 minutes from my house in case of natural disaster in my area.

Plus, I've got my OS X DVD ripped to a partition on my external drive in case something happens to my disc, so I think I've got a decent strategy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
Never. I currently have one HD. I am eventually going to buy a 2nd 750GB drive and set it up RAID 1 so everything is backed up. Nothing is critical though. It's all just music and movies I already own. If the HD crashed, which has never happened to me in the 10 years I've used a modern omputer, I'd just import everything again.

Just a side note... RAID 1 isn't a very good backup solution.

Yes, it provides redundancy in the case of drive failure, but the problem with RAID 1 is that unlike an actual backup, it does not create an archive of the data frozen in time and saves it to another storage device.

With a backup if any kind of failure occurs, you can recover from a previous backup version of the data. With a Mirrored RAID 1, all the system changes are applied immediately to all the drives in the array and no archival history is maintained, defeating the purpose of useing RAID 1 as a "backup".

To answer the question on the poll, I use Time Machine as much as I can on my MacBook Pro, but also I have a separate external hard drive which I back up my important files one a month, critical files get copied there immediately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Time machine about once a week or so. Everything that is majorly important in on an external drive and on off-site storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
every hour with Time Machine.. all 4TB of stuff that I have.

Reaction score
Ouch. I really don't back up enough. I do a MAJOR back up every 2 months or so. I really should start backing up more often...

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Since Leopard, Time Machine backs up everything for me. I also do incremental bootable backups with SuperDuper! once a week.

I'm most worried about offsite storage now...is anyone doing that? What do you use?
I'm thinking . . . Time Capsule in a fire-proof wall safe? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Since Leopard, Time Machine backs up everything for me. I also do incremental bootable backups with SuperDuper! once a week.

I'm most worried about offsite storage now...is anyone doing that? What do you use?
I'm thinking . . . Time Capsule in a fire-proof wall safe? :)

If you have any relatives that live a fair distance away from you, but not like, out of state, see if you can keep your backup there. That's what I've been doing for a few years now. I figure, I can always get a new computer, but that data, well, not so much.

Offsite backups, especially up to date ones, are invaluable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.