• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Should I?

Reaction score
Alright so I currently have an iMac from summer 06 and I think the new MBPs are pretty sweet looking. Now I'm in grade 10 and my family owns a cabin up in BC. We kind of need a desk top computer for up there and it may be possible that we can use my current one up there and I could get a new MBP. Should I take this opportunity or should I keep my iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3, 500MHz, CD-ROM, 12"
Get the Macbook Pro it's much better....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
Get the MBP! I use to have desktop computers and made the switch to notebooks as my main computer. I could not be happier! Get a good notebook, and you will be able to have all your data on-the-go all the time!!

Reaction score
i say DO IT! im in the process of getting one myself. but yes portability is where its at. if you have the chance take it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
Vote for MBP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
I would definately vote yes for getting a notebook... but my question is Why a Macbook Pro? Why not just a regular MacBook?

Not trying to offend you or anything, but I just don't see a Grade 10 student needing the horsepower of a MacBook Pro. Let alone afford a MacBook Pro. If you don't need a dedicated graphics card, then save your money and get a MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I would definately vote yes for getting a notebook... but my question is Why a Macbook Pro? Why not just a regular MacBook?

Not trying to offend you or anything, but I just don't see a Grade 10 student needing the horsepower of a MacBook Pro. Let alone afford a MacBook Pro. If you don't need a dedicated graphics card, then save your money and get a MacBook.

My younger brother is a 9th grader and has a mbp, he got it because of the bigger screen, but he also has a begging to programming course too, so he probably got it for that reason.

I'm going to have to agree if you don't need the bigger screen and/or the backlight keys save your self some money and go for the Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you travel by car between places a lot and not via any form of public transport, then I'd say keep the imac. You can get special bags for them that makes transporting them a breeze. And assuming the power type/voltage in the wall is the same at both places it's like 5 minutes or less to set up an imac. And it'll save you a lot of money. But if you want the net at both places you'll have to bring whatever net equipment (routers etc) you'll need. But you'll have to do the same for the macbook pro also.

The only catch is via that method you'd only have the machine at those 2 places. You couldn't use it on the run out somewhere.

So I'll say this:

Go the imac with a special bag to transport it safely if you only want to use it at the two places.

But if you want to use a mac anywhere in transit or on the run then go the a portable. The MB and the MBP are both good options. I'd let your inances dictate what you should get there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.