Start up on Macs?

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought my macbook pro, new to the mac scene but right before i bought this one i was using a newer entry level macbook and that one seem to start up much quicker? Is it because my comp is running leapard or some other reason?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
It might just be because of leopard but just to check, how long does it take to start up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I've seen both MBs and MBPs running Leopard start up in the range of 28-40 seconds. I've clocked mine at 32-34 seconds, about average.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Under Tiger, my MacBook Pro started in about 15-20 seconds from a cold boot. Under Leopard, it's more like 45 seconds to a minute. It seems to be Leopard related.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok thanks guys, its about 45 seconds, not bad just curious if there was anything holding it back

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok thanks guys, its about 45 seconds, not bad just curious if there was anything holding it back

There seems to be quite a number of complaints on Apple's support forums revolving around long startup times - so I would image it will get better as updates are released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/4grm/200ghd/256mvideo
yeah...I'm new to macs and the boot up time on my MBP is slow...I turn on 2 pcs and a pc laptop at the same time all came up well before my mbp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
my MBP is far from slow, but the startup time is definitely slowER with leopard. It does make sense though. As operating systems get more advanced they do more things, which means the OS has more things to load when it starts up which means longer start up times. In a perfect world hardware would advance at a rate where you don't notice these things, but if your hardware stays the same, as you get newer OS's, boot time will go up. Is it possible that Tiger on a g3 computer took longer to boot then Panther?
I could be wrong, but thats just how I see it.

Reaction score
That was one of the reasons I switched to a Mac from a PC it would take almost 10 minutes for my pc to completely load from a cold boot and the only things running on startup were my anitvirus/firewall, Lexmark printer software and network magic. Even on a cold boot on a clean machine Windows XP takes about 3 minutes to load. Personally I'm not griping out the almost 1 minute boot times.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All my Macs with Leopard are a bit slower to boot to the Desktop than the same Macs with 10.4.11 Tiger. It's nothing much though and on the order of 10-15 seconds longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Huh. I've noticed the mac start much faster once I installed Leopard. Until I added an external drive anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Huh. I've noticed the mac start much faster once I installed Leopard. Until I added an external drive anyway.

I think you might be onto something. I notice that even with Leopard, my system was starting from a cold boot within about 15-20 seconds. But when I started adding peripherals such as printers and especially the external drive, that time increased significantly. A lot of these woes maybe related to the time that it takes Leopard to do it's check of all hardware components, internal and external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I think you might be onto something. I notice that even with Leopard, my system was starting from a cold boot within about 15-20 seconds. But when I started adding peripherals such as printers and especially the external drive, that time increased significantly. A lot of these woes maybe related to the time that it takes Leopard to do it's check of all hardware components, internal and external.

A lot of external drives will go into power saving mode and not start spinning until activated - and that doesn't happen when you turn your Mac on, it happens when the Mac probes the devices to check it's status. That can add some time to the process.

I question the need to turn off the machine though. I rarely power mine completely down; if I'm closing down for the night and it's plugged into power I just close the lid and let it drop into sleep mode.

Even if I'm heading off for a meeting at a remote location I'll just put it in sleep mode since it's so efficient. About the only time I actually power down the machine is if I'm going to be traveling a long distance without power.

Reaction score
Even though I have a desktop (iMac) I never shut down my computers except when I need to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.