More HD space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I remember back quite a while there was a topic here on how to gain more HD space. That was before Leopard came out. Are there programs for Leopard that will find all the excess languages (I think the last I looked, Monolingual wasn't upgraded for Leopard)?

Also there are programs that you can't remove or shouldn't, what are they? Any one know the barebones of Leopard?

Any suggestions of what progs or files to remove.

All space saving tips and opinions wanted....

Thanks

Reaction score
Personally with the price of external drives dropping and every week the sale prices drop more and more I just put a 500Gb external on my system and use it for timemachine and all my music plus just plain data storage. So my internal hard drive is only really used for installed programs themselves and all the storage is on the external.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it's not an option that I can take advantage of tho, which is why I was asking...
Personally with the price of external drives dropping and every week the sale prices drop more and more I just put a 500Gb external on my system and use it for timemachine and all my music plus just plain data storage. So my internal hard drive is only really used for installed programs themselves and all the storage is on the external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I'm pretty sure you can remove every program excluding the finder, and you should keep safari since you need it to change your default web browser if need be. Videos take up a lot of space as well so maybe you could upload any to youtube or revver and than delete them off you computer. You could also for all work/school documents get a cheap flash drive. That's all I could think of for not as it is 11pm where I'm at.

Reaction score
its in one of the four stickies in the switcher forum. i was just reading it yesterday. but about removing excess languages i used onyx to do that. i only saved spanish and english uk and deleted everything else. i saved myself about 800mbs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
And remember, you can save about 2-3GB if you don't use Garageband

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah great thanks...
its in one of the four stickies in the switcher forum. i was just reading it yesterday. but about removing excess languages i used onyx to do that. i only saved spanish and english uk and deleted everything else. i saved myself about 800mbs.
Oh Ok thanks for that I found it in the stickies and bm'd it thanks ;D I also didn't know/remember you could do that with onyx, I guess I'll have to take another look at it...

And remember, you can save about 2-3GB if you don't use Garageband
Ok that's a good one to get rid of...

I'm a little paranoid of messing up my mac, my prog disks are 5hrs away. I'm way too familiar with PC and while mac is easier, it gets harder as I complicate things with the PC way of doing things..

Hopefully I will get a backup drive but until then, I would really like to get rid of some of the clutter...

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.