Worth a wait or no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20", 2.4ghz iMac/4 gigs of ram + a 2.1ghz MacBook/160gb 7200 rpm Seagate HD/1 gig of ram
I've been wanting to buy the black macbook or the model just below it for awhile now. Right now I'm in high-school and will just use it for the occasional power point presentation and lots of text documents etc (plus some music and maybe a few movies).

I can go out and buy in less than a month but my question is simple. I keep on hearing about updates for the macbook/macbook pro around june? Do these claims have any validity or are they just people with wishful thinking?

I find it hard to believe that Apple will up both lines of laptops twice in one year.

Thanks for your time.
Cpt. Morgan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Apple often updates their laptop lines more than once a year. In fact, I'd say that two or three times a year or so is about how often that we see updates. I'm sure someone can come in with more exact time tables on updates in the past. The important thing to note here is that we never know for certain when Apple is going to update their products. They generally follow a pattern, but we're never certain.

This being said, now is the time to purchase a new MacBook. Both laptop lines were just updated last week, and so are freshly updated with great specs. If you want a MacBook now, then get one now. It's perfect for the uses that you're describing.

You could wait until the next set of updates, but you need to remember that there is always a new update around the corner with computers. Your computer will always become less than top of the line after a few months. On that note, it is much better to purchase one when you want/need one, especially if the hardware you're looking at was just updated.

I got my MacBook Pro about 14 months ago, and it's still a great, reliable machine, despite the couple of updates that the line has gotten since then. So, you won't regret whatever machine you decide to get, even a year down the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I would agree with Josh that you should buy when you need it (and in my case not simply when I want one, saids the wife ;D).

If you are looking for a price discount, and you want one now, look into the educational discounts (check with your school), or get a refurbished (as good as new) at the on-line Apple store. Amazon also has good rebates.

If you are looking for better performance, and if history is any guide, I would doubt that the next new model is going to be so much faster than the current generation so as to cause you buyer's remorse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Apple updates the laptops every six months or a little sooner. They were just updated last week. If you can wait, you don't need one now. Wait till you need one and you'll be set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
I wouldn't worry about these updates, they are usually trivial, although if there's a BIG upgrade coming (like a new/better processor or more RAM) it may be worth the wait. I got my MB back in August 2006 and about 3 months later, the processor in my MB (1.83 GHz Core Duo) was replaced by a 1.83 GHz Core TWO duo, I have no idea what the difference is, but I'm guessing it isn't that important (feel free to rebuke me ^^') so I was willing to go then. I guess you just need to balance how badly you want it (which should be a lot xP) against the potential gains the new upgrade will give, or whether there's a good offer on. When I got my MB, I got an iPod for £80 after a rebate and a free printer after a rebate :) so I was happy ^^

Bear it in mind

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Core2Duo is 64-bit, CoreDuo is 32-bit. Core2Duo will support more RAM. The C2D wasn't much faster though. Neither is the new Penryn update. All updates are pretty trivial when you really compare for the MB thus far. Looking back at the first gen you will see a big difference but each consecutive update doesn't offer too much more than the last.

Reaction score
In short, I'd be careful what you buy in highschool. Do you really NEED it right now? I almost bought a MacBook in highschool and I'm glad that I waited... I had to drop over $3000 on a MacBook Pro for my college course =P It's so much more powerful, though, I needed that for sure!
Consider your future uses, a laptop is an investment. Think about what you'll use it for in the years to come =) Everyone's needs are different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.