Not as frustrated as I thought... but...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram
I got my Mac Pro last night and starting setting it up. For the most part things went much smoother than I anticipated. I had internet running right from first boot, I got all updates installed including 10.5.2 and the graphics update (9 updates in all).

I had a little trouble with email though... mostly my fault... I let the mac "getting started" process talk me into a 60 day ".mac" account. When I did this it automatically configured email with that account. When I went into mail and tried to add my RoadRunner information I had a heck of a time. It defaulted to a send configuration that was not correct and trying to get the right config in was a pain.. I think I have that working now (I hope because I am not actually sure how it magically starting working).

My email question is this: In the Mac standard mail I now have two accounts.... camnewyork.mac.com and my roadrunner account. How can I remove the ".mac" account completely from mail. I will never use it and it is a confusing addition to the screen I do not need. At one point I found a "remove account" but it was greyed out.....

Second email question: My wife likes to scroll through her email by opening up a mail message then using button on the email window to jump to the next mail message "stays in the open message window, just next or prev message". Is there a way to do this in Mac mail?

Safari question: One of the web sites my wife goes to (something like bigcouponworld.com) came up with no text in messages (its a forum). It looks alot like the font color for hyperlinks is the same as the site background color. Is there an easy way to change font colors for different types of fonts (background vs normal vs bold ....)

All in all, if thats the best I can come up with after my first day with the Mac, I think it was a pretty successful night.

I will do some research on my own so if there are no answers to these questions... no big deal. I am happy with things so far.

Oh yeah... my only hardware complaint is the wireless mighty mouse. I am having a tough time getting the right click to register... most of the time it registers as a left click. In Warcraft the right click is essential and it just isn't consistently working. I don't think that mouse will be around very long :)

Carl

Reaction score
Congrats on the special delivery!!! I'm not sure on the mail questions as I'm still a noob to Macs myself. On the Safari question though, I would suggest giving Firefox a try. Some sites have specific coding for only IE or just IE and Firefox, that sounds to me like it could be your problem.

Good luck with the mail issue.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram
Yep, I have firefox on my list the many things to do tonight.... I also need to get file sharing to my XP laptop working tonight.... fun stuff. I may give the firefox email (thunderbird?) a try, see how I like it.

I did get WoW up and running, patched and my AddOns working :)... darn that mouse. I would have played for an hour or so..... I have been monitoring my FPS in WoW and with graphics to the max everywhere, I am getting between 30 fps and 100... I was averaging 55FPS in Shatt and 90 in the forest outside... I think that is pretty good but I will have to keep an eye on it, when it dropped to 30 I got a little worried.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My email question is this: In the Mac standard mail I now have two accounts.... camnewyork.mac.com and my roadrunner account. How can I remove the ".mac" account completely from mail. I will never use it and it is a confusing addition to the screen I do not need. At one point I found a "remove account" but it was greyed out.....

In Mail, click the Mail menu, click Preferences, click Accounts. Highlight the .Mac account and click the '-' sign at the bottom of the window pane to remove the account.

Second email question: My wife likes to scroll through her email by opening up a mail message then using button on the email window to jump to the next mail message "stays in the open message window, just next or prev message". Is there a way to do this in Mac mail?

Not that I know of.

Safari question: One of the web sites my wife goes to (something like bigcouponworld.com) came up with no text in messages (its a forum). It looks alot like the font color for hyperlinks is the same as the site background color. Is there an easy way to change font colors for different types of fonts (background vs normal vs bold ....)

I would recommend taking Firefox for a spin instead of Safari. This is a source of great controversy, but I think Safari is a very weak browser in comparison.

All in all, if thats the best I can come up with after my first day with the Mac, I think it was a pretty successful night.

I will do some research on my own so if there are no answers to these questions... no big deal. I am happy with things so far.

Glad to hear it and welcome to M-F. Please do take advantage of the search feature, as you might imagine, we have hundreds of switchers here and many of the basic questions have already been asked and answer, so there is a wealth of information here at your disposal.

Oh yeah... my only hardware complaint is the wireless mighty mouse. I am having a tough time getting the right click to register... most of the time it registers as a left click. In Warcraft the right click is essential and it just isn't consistently working. I don't think that mouse will be around very long :)

Carl

The Mighty Mouse gets some pretty mixed reviews because of these kinds of problems. People either love it or hate it. I use a Bluetooth Logitech V270 and couldn't be happier. It has two REAL mouse buttons, and in tandem with the SteerMouse driver, it works exactly the way I like it to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.