Photography/Camera newbie...help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ,1GB memory, 80GB hard drive Mac mini + 8GB iPhone. <3
Well im sorta new to photography and last year I decided to get a decent camera. I got a Fujifilm Finepix S5600 for my birthday and i love it. Great photos from it and everything but im wondering whether I can get any filters or anything for it? this is a brilliant camera for me but I'd like to go further and use lenses/filters and such... So can I purchase filters/lenses for this camera or is it a no-go?

thank yer,

Khai

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You camera has a fixed lens, so changing lenses is not possible, you would need an SLR camera for that.

I was looking at a pretty big picture of the lens and it looks like there's spiraling of some sort on the front, so a filter might be a possibility. If you have the manual, I'd lookup filter in the index and see if you can find a filter size.

OP
Khaiyrah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the reply,

I couldn't find it in the manual... confusing manual... It says '55mm' on the front of the camera so I looked it up on the internet to be sure and its definitely a 55mm. So is the size all i need to look for when I am buying the filter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
If you have a high end camera store near you bring it in and you can see if standard 55mm filters will work on that camera. As VI says, if you want to change the lens you'll need to move to a DSLR.

Is there a particular reason you would like to get a filter for the Fuji?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Correct.

Any 55mm filter should work.

A circular polarizer or graduated nuetral density filter would probably be a good one to start out with. Remember, skimping on the filter brand can end up getting you a crappy filter.

OP
Khaiyrah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a high end camera store near you bring it in and you can see if standard 55mm filters will work on that camera. As VI says, if you want to change the lens you'll need to move to a DSLR.

Is there a particular reason you would like to get a filter for the Fuji?

I just want to get more out of my camera, the photos I am taking with it now are good but i'd like to experiment more with different effects that a filter can create. Once I can afford to, i'll probably move to an SLR.

Their is a high-end camera store abut half-hour drive away but it never seems to be open in the weekend and im college 99% of the time in the weekdays. I'll see if i can race down their before they close sometime. Thanks for the reply!

Village Idiot said:
Correct.

Any 55mm filter should work.

A circular polarizer or graduated nuetral density filter would probably be a good one to start out with. Remember, skimping on the filter brand can end up getting you a crappy filter.

At least now I know what im looking for now. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
As others have noted, the S5600 does come with filter threads, so you should be able to mount a filter. For digital photography, the only filters that you really need are the polarizers and the graduated density filters. The rest can be achieved in-camera or in Photoshop.

If you want greater field of view or extra reach, Raynox also makes teleconverter lenses for this camera. I have used their lenses on my Canon G7 p&s camera, and it works well.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/s5600/index.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whitebook 2.2, 4gb RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD
There are a few options for other "lenses" for your camera.
See Amazon's product page here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NWWRJC/?tag=macforums0e4-20

You can get a variety of filters and I'd recommend the Cokin plates. Since you can thread you'd have to handhold but you can get just about any type of filter you wish. ND, Graduated, Polarizer, etc.

Best!
Kat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.