Why are colors different in Leopard to Vista

Reaction score
Guys just out of curiosity why are the colors different in Leopard than Vista.

Maybe no one has noticed but I have found the colors in Web pages duller in Leopard to Vista. Overall I find the colors more toned down in Leopard.

However I must also say that on some occasions I find them more realistic; such as the desktop backgrounds being less grainy etc.

Not a big issue but just curious for thoughts ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
That is odd. I've noticed the reversed. I wonder if it has to do with calibration in each environment. In my case, I've notice that colors are slightly deeper and richer in the Mac OS using both Safari and Firefox with the gx setting enabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Depends on the calibration of the two individual machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
You may want to calibrate your display. Preferences / Displays / Color, then click the Calibrate button.

djs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2.66Ghz
Screen colours

Being a photographer my screen is setup for RGB Adobe 1998 profile which has the widest gamut. I gives me the closest colours to the film transparency that I have scanned, as the scanners give RGB output. Therefore photos are well saturated bright. Also try modifying the settings on your monitor, contrast, gamma etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
That is odd. I've noticed the reversed. I wonder if it has to do with calibration in each environment. In my case, I've notice that colors are slightly deeper and richer in the Mac OS using both Safari and Firefox with the gx setting enabled.

I've found the same to be true, although it may have less to do with Leopard, and more to do with whether one has a glossy or matte screen. The glossy screen of my iMac gives very bright, vivid, saturated colors; great for regular viewing, but perhaps not the most accurate way to edit an image. For that, I have an Eizo monitor connected to the iMac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes its a glossy screen I have. Ill have to wait until I receive the upgraded MBP before adjusting the seetings. Luckily I was able to return for an upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
if you want the colors in your Mac to be the same as the colors on windows, simply go to Preferences / Displays / Color / Calibrate. Then a little assistant will pop up, make sure expert mode is not checked and hit continue. you will have a choice between 1.8 gamma which is the OS X default and 2.2 gamma, which is the television and windows default. Choose 2.2 and hit continue, and then a whit point selector will come up. I would leave that alone and continue, then select a name for this new display profile, save it, and your good to go! Hope you found that helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I will tell you the reason, tho eliehas hinted at it.

The default gamma setting in Macs is 1.8. This is the best set-up if you are producing graphics for print and since the Mac traditionally had creative core users , apple set-up the OS to make colour accuracy for design a default out of the box.

Windows uses a default gamma of 2.2 - closer to the gamma for a TV and gives the monitor a darker hue. This is fine if you like it but would mean that for design the colours you are choosing on screen will not nearly match printed colours in the real world

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.