• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Road trip/Ipod advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHZ MacBook Black 2GB's RAM 200GB Hard Drive
Hey all,

I have to drive across the country here in a couple weeks in a rental truck with just an AM/FM radio. Thats not gunna be very fun so I was thinking I would bring My Klipsch Igroove sxt with me in the cab for some tunes from my ipod.

Question is, I need to buy a power inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to power my Ipod dock. The Igroove SXT has no specs on how many watts it is. What is a safe wattage i should look for when buying a power inverter?

Thanks guys!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I would just pick up a car charger and use headphones. Cheaper, safer, and easier :)

OP
RampHog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would just pick up a car charger and use headphones. Cheaper, safer, and easier :)

Not a bad idea but I'm the one who's driving, I think wearing headphones driving is illegal in pretty much every state.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't know what the truck situation is, but if you have easy access to where the antenna plugs into the stereo head unit, there is a cord out there that you can plug into any headphone jack and the other can plug into the antenna plug of a stereo. That way you could hook your ipod directly to the stereo. I only wish I could remember which website I saw that cord on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Not a bad idea but I'm the one who's driving, I think wearing headphones driving is illegal in pretty much every state.

It is. You coud just use a tape deck converter if the rental truck has a tape player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro

Hmmm...I forgot about that.

You could get a FM transmitter for your iPod. It would probably still be cheaper than a power inverter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
You could get a FM transmitter for your iPod. It would probably still be cheaper than a power inverter.

Those things are fantastic! Plus, a lot of them come with car chargers :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Only thing is that the FM transmitters are very hit-and-miss. It really depends on your surroundings. You might find yourself constantly changing frequencies on the radio.

OP
RampHog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is. You coud just use a tape deck converter if the rental truck has a tape player.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

No tape deck in the rental truck. Its your typical moving truck from Penske, just an AM/FM radio!

I was looking on newegg.com and I can get a 400watt power inverter for like $40.00, not bad. 400watts seems like overkill but I could probably run my laptop at the same time with that much juice.

I have went through like 4 FM transmitters and they all were horrible, I've totally abandoned that method for sure!

If anyone here isn;t familiar with NewEgg.com you guys shoud really check them out, smokin deals all the time with cheap shipping!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
I have one with the same wattage(sp?). It's nice to have the extra juice for when you want to use a laptop, etc. It works fine and it's perfect for road trips, even though I don't get out on too many these days. Stuck on an island, but I can't complain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.