23 Inch Cinema and Photoshop

Reaction score
Hey All,

I currently use a CRT monitor when I designing in Photoshop due to the colour reproduction of the monitor. In the past I have read that LCD screens are not good for design work because of the fact that it is almost impossible to colour calibrate them.

So the question is... the Apple 23 inch Cinema LCD... how good is this screen for design work in PShop etc. I design for print media and book publication.

Cheers
-J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
How criticical do you need the colour accuracy? It uses an aged S-IPS technology, but you want to look for any LCD panel that uses that technology (AVOID TN).

For what it's worth, you'll get more by looking at monitors like LaCie and NEC. What's your budget like?

OP
T
Reaction score
The budget is not too bad... but in the same breath... I don't want to spend a fortune. Size is not really an issue, but 19 inch would be the smallest.

What did you have in mind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Well I would need to know your budget if you really want to get a thing going. What you just said is all relative. Then you say size isn't an issue, but you never answered how critical your colour accuracy needs to be.

OP
T
Reaction score
Colour is critical to the point where I need to know that what I am looking at, is very close to what will print. I do send along Hard Proofs to my commercial printers as reference point... but I need to know what I am looking at is what I will get - (or close to it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the max you're willing to spend? And I mean MAX, that includes what hundreds more you're willing to shell out for something a bit better.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info on those panels. That is the info that I needed.

OK... so now I know what I can get for the 1200 to 1500 price mark...

So what is there in say the 750 to 1000 mark. This way I can compare what you get for the money and determine if I can justify it.

Cheers
John

Reaction score
Don't underestimate the Apple Cinema Displays; they may not be quite as good as the considerably-more expensive NEC's, etc., but keep in mind that many professionals use them every day. When correctly calibrated (using the X-Rite Eye-One Display 2 or something similar), they do an excellent job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Dave is right about the need for proper color calibration of your monitor. Make sure to budget a few hundred dollars on a calibration software/tool. Here's a reference link:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm

I have the Eizo L887 for critical work, and it is excellent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.