What do you think of the MacBook Keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I love my new MacBook. I've been using it extensively for a couple weeks now. I have only one complaint--the keyboard.

I cannot type a complete sentence without having at least one letter not register. I'm making a conscieancious effort to hit the keys hard, but I still have problems. The "A" key is the worst offender.

Am I the only one with this problem? Will I get used to the new keyboard, or will I always hate it?

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Is your MacBook the new or the discontinued model? Does it have the latest 10.5.2 version of OS X?

Judging from the numerous posts that I've seen on this forum, your keyboard problem apparently is not all that uncommon. But Apple was supposed to have remedied the problem with 10.5.2. This leaves me wondering whether I should still get a MacBook anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I have a late '07 MB with 10.5.2 and am having no difficulties with the keyboard.

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Its a brand new MacBook w/ 10.5.2 factory installed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i am having no problems with the keyboard. It took me awhile to get use to as my old keyboard was smaller. Now that i have gotten use to it the only problem is when i switch and use a different kb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
It's not just that. I love Apple's new Keyboard, I just had to get used to the keys. Back with the Logitech keyboard, it was easy to not misspell a word, but I do remember in the beginning there was always a keystroke problem when it had to do with the capital "T". Just takes time. You'll get used to it I'm sure.

However, I hate all laptop keyboards, they're too small for me, and ended up hurting my wrist very badly. Couldn't lift weights properly for about 4 weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I love my new MacBook. I've been using it extensively for a couple weeks now. I have only one complaint--the keyboard.

I cannot type a complete sentence without having at least one letter not register. I'm making a conscieancious effort to hit the keys hard, but I still have problems. The "A" key is the worst offender.

Am I the only one with this problem? Will I get used to the new keyboard, or will I always hate it?

Jason

Same thing here. The 'i' key is the worst offender for me. Really irks me, but other than that I love the thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I'm kind of ambivalent about the built-in Macbook keyboard. I have no problems using it when out and about, but prefer to use a wireless external (Apple old style full sized keyboard) when I'm at my desk. I could live with it given no choice, but since I have one I use the external most of the time.

As for keys not registering when I do use it, the main problem I have is with the space bar, and occasionally a key here or there might not register, but my biggest thing is that my hands are kind of big, and if I'm not careful I'll somehow hit the trackpad unintentionally so the mouse cursor flies across the screen and steal my focus. Kind of annoying, but if I reposition my hands differently, it alleviates that problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The keyboard firmware patch was *not part* of 10.5.2
It's a patch that can only be installed by those who already have 10.5.2.

Do a software update check and see if it's available to download. You then need to run the installer from Applications -> Utilities -> Built-In Keyboard Firmware Update

HTH
mrplow

Reaction score
I have trouble with the macbook keyboard. It doesn't feel right somehow. I think I miss the curved keys that PCs have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Yeah have had the same problem with my first MacBook.

It was a late 07 model. "A" "I" and "." would never work unless I pressed them hard. It was funny too, cause I could actally depress the key all the way down... but if I didnt give it a little more "umpf" it wouldnt register. I took it back and got a different one and the new one works great now... no complaints at all.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I had 3 MB's before I got my MBP, and the keyboard's probably the only thing that I do miss. I love them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
Is your MacBook the new or the discontinued model? Does it have the latest 10.5.2 version of OS X?

Judging from the numerous posts that I've seen on this forum, your keyboard problem apparently is not all that uncommon. But Apple was supposed to have remedied the problem with 10.5.2. This leaves me wondering whether I should still get a MacBook anytime soon.

The most recent fix by Apple was a Keyboard firmware update about 2 weeks ago if I remember correctly. Simply running OS 10.5.2 isn't going to cure it. The firmware update solved the issues on my machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Mine was simply a physical defect. keys didn't respond to anything but a deliberate hard push.

It had nothing to do with the delayed response of the firmware/software update. Known as the "elp!" issue.

mab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.11
I have an early '07, 2.0GHZ Macbook and haven't had any problems with the keyboard, other than getting used to it. While I did not like it at the beginning, I now don't even notice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I had both a MB and MBP last year and I liked the MB keyboard better. It was just a pleasure to type on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
My expirience is the otehr way around. MB keyboard sucks if you have to type a lot on it (i do a looooot of writing), and MBP keyboard is compaerble to better PC keybards.

gpc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro6,2 - Intel Core i7 - 2.66 GHz - 8 GB RAM

Jason

I'm having exactly the same problem with a brand new MacBook. It hapens with random kes -- just like that, at tis frequency. It sounds ike I just have to take it back. I'm not a light typer -- I started typing about 35 yearsago on an old manual typewriter and I've never gotten out ofthe habit of hitting the keys hard.

Funny thing is, I seem to make my "usual" typos much less often on this keyboard than any other I've used before, although it could be that I'm more focused on typing accurately to try to forestall the key skipping.

I take itno on here [that's "no one"] knows of a self-elp solution such as popping off he keys and cleaning something where contact is made. I'm sure I've read of something like that in another context yeas ago.

-- GPC

Reaction score
I've only been using my new blackbook a few hours now and it's taking some time to get used to. A few things work different than my MBP or my iMac but it shouldn't be too hard to get used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Laptop keyboards are always a challenge for me. I have larger fingers, and it' a challenge for me to place my hands properly over the small keyboard. Same thing as with guitars with small fret spacing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.