First Time Mac Owner, Few Questions

Reaction score
Hey, I just purchased a new mac pro, the 1999 one. Im new to the mac world and have a few questions. I have any added i work and have already used 34gb, is that common for a mac to come out of the box with that much missing space? Also any recomendations on some good freeware programs to help my computer run or recomendations for me. Thanks. oh btw i love my mac already

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Congrats on the new Macbook Pro. 32 gb does seem a bit high to me, what other files do you have on your mac? If you want to know all the stats of how your computer is running you can download the iStat pro widget.

there have been several threads about programs here is a link to one
and another one. Also check out the switchers guide as it has a lot of useful info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
How are you coming to 32GB used?
You have the version with the 200GB HD installed? This would mean the drive formatted will only support 170-180 GB of free space. The standard OS install is 11GB. With iWork installed, that could easily leave you with 168GB of free space with all things I mentioned considered.
You could reformat the computer and get some space back. OS X installs a few GBs of printer drivers and foreign languages. You could choose to not install them after the reformat and get 4 or 5 GB back if it is critical.
Right outta the box, I reformat the HD. I like customizing it down to the last dotted i.

For future reference, there is a major difference between the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
How are you coming to 32GB used?
You have the version with the 200GB HD installed? This would mean the drive formatted will only support 170-180 GB of free space. The standard OS install is 11GB. With iWork installed, that could easily leave you with 168GB of free space with all things I mentioned considered.
You could reformat the computer and get some space back. OS X installs a few GBs of printer drivers and foreign languages. You could choose to not install them after the reformat and get 4 or 5 GB back if it is critical.
Right outta the box, I reformat the HD. I like customizing it down to the last dotted i.

For future reference, there is a major difference between the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. :)

actually thats what im at 166gb, i didnt realize that formatted it is 180, i was counting from 200gb to 166gb. Thank you guys for all the help so far im sure ill be back with more questions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.