External Drive Help

Reaction score
:( I use a western digital passport drive for back up etc. In windows it works fine
BUT in Leopard the disk shows up but i get an error message saying " WD passport cannot be modified "

I have returned another WD drive specially designed for Mac with firewire because i was getting the same error.

I have also checked the hare this folder option but to no avail. Must be something very simple.

Help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
:( I use a western digital passport drive for back up etc. In windows it works fine
BUT in Leopard the disk shows up but i get an error message saying " WD passport cannot be modified "

I have returned another WD drive specially designed for Mac with firewire because i was getting the same error.

I have also checked the hare this folder option but to no avail. Must be something very simple.

Help would be appreciated.

Which file system does it use? NTFS/FAT32/other?

I suspect it's NTFS which OS X can't handle natively. If this is the case you'll need to save the contents elsewhere and re-format to FAT32 or use an NTFS driver for OS X like Paragon http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/release.html

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes thats it. Ive got vista on the MBP as NTFS and couldnt format the drive in fat. So ill try that thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.