FONT (virus) problem

M

MIVO

Anyone know anything of this nature PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF HUMANITY HELP ME!

A while ago I was on a horrid font downloading spree & must have caught a nasty one.

Now, although my default fonts are set to Georgia I have this pesky graffiti type illegible font that sneaks its way into my PDF files, email & iChat to the point it's difficult for me to read.

I check out the font name & delete it but then it just comes back as a different name that wasn't there to begin with.

I'm working on os x.

magda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wierd, I've never heard of something like that happening before.

Try searching for it in finder and then delete anything that pops up with that name...

OP
T

tracyace

font virus?

I have a similar problem with a certain font. It corrupted an InDesign document and I was unable to delete it from the InDesign file. It then created a new font (that didn't actually appear anywhere but in the font list, but still caused problems) which morphed together two other font names. The way the problem manifests itself now other than that one document is every few days half of my fonts disappear from my font list (even though they are still on my computer) and the permissions of Safari and Calculator get screwed up. How weird is that??? Anyone ever had any problems like this?

I'm on Mac OSX v. 10.3.7...The font is FontFont Dingbests.

MIVO said:
Anyone know anything of this nature PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF HUMANITY HELP ME!

A while ago I was on a horrid font downloading spree & must have caught a nasty one.

Now, although my default fonts are set to Georgia I have this pesky graffiti type illegible font that sneaks its way into my PDF files, email & iChat to the point it's difficult for me to read.

I check out the font name & delete it but then it just comes back as a different name that wasn't there to begin with.

I'm working on os x.

magda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
sounds like you both have huge cfont conflicts going on, there arent really any viruses on mac os x, so its font related. if you have more than 50 fonts, use suitcase or some font managing software, DONT use fontbook. as far as the indesign problem, if you started in illustrator or photoshop, you shoulds converted the type to outlines so you dont have to worry about fonts later, it wont matter if the font is there or not.

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

MIVO said:

Dont go on downloading sprees, i messed up a Windoze 98 system like that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, theres no os x viruses, so it doesnt matter, but the reason not to go on a downloading spree of fonts or apps is cause these third party items can cause extension or font conflicts and mess up your mac that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
MIVO said:
Maxp0wer2004 said:
Dont go on downloading sprees, i messed up a Windoze 98 system like that

This one time I turned the computer on and messed up a system like that. It may have been because I installed Windows on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 OS 10.4
I have this same problem, with the fonts going haywire in the email and pdf files. I manage my fonts with Suitcase XI. You mentioned something about a cfont conflict... what are cfonts and how do I fix this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 OS 10.4
I have this same annoying problem. I think it started with InDesign. InDesign periodically says that my fonts are deactivated and when I check in suitcase they are activated. Anyways, did you find out how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't have any useful help, but kudos on doing a search and finding this thread from 4 years ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have this same problem, with the fonts going haywire in the email and pdf files. I manage my fonts with Suitcase XI. You mentioned something about a cfont conflict... what are cfonts and how do I fix this problem.

Download Linotype Font Explorer and deactivate everything apart from your system fonts. That should fix it.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

What helps with messed up fonts sometimes is cleaning out the font caches so you could try that as well.

A member* here suggested one time in a thread to download and use FontNuke. I was curious and tried it out and it works quite well.

* Thank you whoever you are! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.