Wiping Data From My G4 before Sale...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBp 2.4ghz, 4 gb + apple 20" Cinema
Hi Everyone,

I'm selling my Powerbook g4 as i have a MBP and soon an iMac at work. I need to clear all my stuff off of the g4, So any help would be much appreciated. Dragging stuff to the trash is fine, and emptying it of course, but i'm more concerned with passwords, internet banking related info etc. Is there a general path when preparing to sell your 1st beloved?
Thanks in advance..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
We use a program called
'Wipe drive" at work. Military spec drive wiping. Of course with hard drives being so cheap these days you cold just put a new drive in it before you sell and use the old one as a back up drive.

Reaction score
1) Boot mac into single user mode by holding down Command-s at startup.

2)open terminal and type the following commands

$ mount -uw /
$ rm -R /Library/Preferences/
$ rm -R /Users/USERNAME/ <====== USERNAME is your login name

3) then type

$ /bin/launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist &
$ dscl . -delete /Users/USERNAME

4)

$ rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

5)

$ exit

reboot and you will see the opening movie like the first time you took it out of the box

Reaction score
Or boot the machine from the DVD and zero out the drive using Disk Utility. Click on the Erase button and check out the options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.