'Import' or 'Add' in iTunes....?

Reaction score
Greetings

Could some kind person enlighten me, please? I am trying to find out what is the difference between Importing or Adding mp3's into iTunes.

If I 'Add', does this just allow iTunes to point to a particular melody on my HD, without actually making a copy within the program?

Why, when I try to 'Import', doesn't it allow me to select a Folder? It seems to insist on a single mp3.

All my mp3's are ripped from CD's etc, ie no iTunes purchases.

Many thanks. Mitcherooney

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Just drag and drop a folder into the iTunes Window/dock icon and your files will be imported (provided the "copy files to music folder" option is checked in the preferences).

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Thanks Goobimama

That's a lot simpler than the procedure I've been using! These learning curves get steeper. Or perhaps, at 63, I've left the handbrake on!

Cheers M

Reaction score
. . . (provided the "copy files to music folder" option is checked in the preferences).
Mine isn't checked because I don't want my music files in the iTunes folder. But dragging and dropping a folder of files or a dragging over a single file still works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ Well since he made a distinction between "adding" and "importing" I thought I'd stick to it.

@mitcherony: At 63, you doing fine! FYI, if you come across a file which you just want 'added' to the library and not imported, hold down option while dragging it in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.