New to Mac - Fusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24ins 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hello,

From being a long time Windows user I switched to Mac two weeks ago after buying my 24ins iMac and I love it! I intend using Fusion - only because there is just one programme I need to run which does not have a Mac OSX platform. Although I would rather not use Windows on the Mac I need to unfortunately.

I would really like some help with the following:

1. I have a disc of Win XP Pro and another with SP2 - I will have to create another disc by streaming to get these onto one I believe?

2. This is probably a silly question but - will I need to use anti-virus etc on the Windows virtual machine?

3. Is there anything else I should be aware of before taking the plunge?

Reaction score
Hello,

From being a long time Windows user I switched to Mac two weeks ago after buying my 24ins iMac and I love it! I intend using Fusion - only because there is just one programme I need to run which does not have a Mac OSX platform. Although I would rather not use Windows on the Mac I need to unfortunately.

I would really like some help with the following:

1. I have a disc of Win XP Pro and another with SP2 - I will have to create another disc by streaming to get these onto one I believe?

No. Just create the virtual machine using the XP Pro disk. You can then you the other disk to add SP2. Other updates can be downloaded from the Internet.

2. This is probably a silly question but - will I need to use anti-virus etc on the Windows virtual machine?

If you connect to the internet, use e-mail etc, from the windows VM then yes. If you only run the windows app and connect the VM only to the host mac, then no.

3. Is there anything else I should be aware of before taking the plunge?

Be sure you have enough memory. Upgrade to the max if possible. Also, if you are not going to be a heavy windows user, set the VM to start using a smaller amount of disk space and grow as needed.

Reaction score
Yeah... Unfortunately, my "killer" app is MS Money. I attempted to get this running under Crossover but it wouldn't even install smoothly. My current idea is to setup Parallels and install XP Pro SP 2 there. I will be connecting to the Internet for Money downloads, but I'm not planning on mail or browsing on this. I may try playing Anarchy Online, but I really think this would be it. I am guessing with this extremely limited connectivity I should be able to forego most of the security crud?

If no, I would plan on Clam AV. Any recommendations on a free Spyware tool? I really don't want to spend any money on Windows junk.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. Just create the virtual machine using the XP Pro disk. You can then you the other disk to add SP2. Other updates can be downloaded from the Internet.

If you connect to the internet, use e-mail etc, from the windows VM then yes. If you only run the windows app and connect the VM only to the host mac, then no.

Be sure you have enough memory. Upgrade to the max if possible. Also, if you are not going to be a heavy windows user, set the VM to start using a smaller amount of disk space and grow as needed.

Thank you - I have already ordered 4 Gig of Ram from Crucial so that will be ok. As far as connecting with the vm - the programme I use does have to send emails and connect with ebay so I assume I will need anti virus.

I believe I can use Fusion on free trial for 30 days so think I will do that first and then buy - would that mean I would have to download the full version at the end of the trial period rather than buying a disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Yes run anti virus inside your windows VM. Get avg free. It doesn't matter if you are using your windows session for anything on the internet o not. If it has an internet connection, you can get infected whether you use it or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I second using AVG on the windows side. I too use Fusion mainly for MS Money but also to be able to use my scanner and Genealogy software which is PC only. All the above run just fine under Fusion.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you - I have always used AVG on my PC so that's no problem.

And - regarding downloading the trial of fusion - what happens at the end of the 30 days?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
The trial ends and you have to buy it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I know. My question was does one have to download it from the net on completion of trial or can one buy it on disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
You can do either. It is available off the shelf in your local apple store or you can buy it from their site and get the registration code.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you theonegod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Pineapple - you don't say where you are but when I bought my copy of Fusion the cheapest place to buy was on Amazon. I didn't reload it though; just entered the license number and I was away.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Sawday - I'm in South Yorkshire. I will probably buy from Amazon - I think it is £49.95 on there. Thanks for the tip about just using the license number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.