• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

mac service

Reaction score
well, turns out I can't simply get my optical drive replaced under warranty at a local apple store. so i need to ship it in.

what type of privacy infringement am I lookin at here? are they gonna go through all my stuff or anything? isn't there some privacy law for that..?

just thought i'd ask, let me know if you don't mind.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD
You came to the right place for an answer. We NEVER look through our customers hard drives, EVER. Our customers have an expectation of privacy, and we deliver on that. Technicians are trained from day 1 to respect this. Any more questions let me know.

-Justin Sanderson
MacService.com

OP
X
Reaction score
So I can be assured not having to think my chat logs on adium being looked at, or i.e. my saved passwords in firefox? That's the main thing I am worried about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD
Absolutely not. The last thing I want our customers to have to worry about is the privacy of their data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Sorry to sound negative, but company policy and individual actions are two different things. Every company will go on about how hard they work to protect privacy, but there have been investigations that reveal technicians going through people's computer files. It's just a risk you have to take with any service you share confidential information with.

With banks and other services, they can cut down on this by only allowing certain employees to access certain pieces of info, but it's still not 100%. A person servicing your computer is a little riskier because there's no way to segregate the responsibility.

Bottom line, if you're really worried about your information, the only thing you can do is back up all your info and format your drive a few times at least.

Again, sorry to be a little negative, but it's the truth and anyone who claims otherwise is not being responsible in their claims.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.