OK, im THROWING A TEMPER TANTRUM

Reaction score
OSX is great and i love apple's generosity, but i'm very MIFFED at the way they have to 'surprise' you with new products. why do i say this? i bought my macbook about the 3rd week of january and was delighted because i'd saved up for the highest spec black one. i've been loving it but today i see that apple are releasing a new one with 250 gigs and a 2.4ghz processor for the same price as the older one NOW! i feel betrayed because i wouldve happily waited a month for it and if they were like any other company i wouldve known 2 months ago because any other company wouldve announced such a big change months prior to release, but not apple they have to 'surprise' and 'wow' windows users just for momentum by announcing something a mere week before release to give super high excitement levels. i feel really angry i got my 2.2ghz so close to the 2.4ghz models. i guess this how guys who bought the 2.0ghz models close to the 2.2s felt. i feel really sorry for them. i hope apple stop being attention grabbing GUYs and stop this crap before i see a new 2.6ghz model being released this november with no CLUE OR idea about it.

please give your thoughts, i need to know im not the only one who is fuming at this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
This will not make you any happier or solve your problem. But guess what there will be another upgrade, then another, then another and then another no matter when you buy you will have the latest and greatest for a very short time. It happens in all industries and companies.

The one thing that is for sure is that there will be change, and we should be happy about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Their main business is technology, we all know technology moves along fast - you have to accept that it is inevitable that within a few weeks or months, your product will be second best.

Smile and put up with it, my Dual Core 2.0GHz MacBook is fine and it was replaced by c2ds after I got it.

Every company is like this - just stay on top of the rumours. they aren't "attention grabbing *insert foul word here*.

Get over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
please give your thoughts, i need to know im not the only one who is fuming at this.

Nobody likes buying something only to find it outdated a short time later by newer technology. You will not find a single person that is an active purchaser of technology items that doesn't go through that. Sometimes it's a vendor putting out new tech like you just experienced, other times it's a massive sale on the item you just paid full retail for. It happens.

I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about it. That's just the way it goes when you buy virtually any technology item, including all electronics and cars.

Reaction score
OSX is great and i love apple's generosity, but i'm very MIFFED off at the way they have to 'surprise' you with new products. why do i say this? i bought my macbook about the 3rd week of january and was delighted because i'd saved up for the highest spec black one. i've been loving it but today i see that apple are releasing a new one with 250 gigs and a 2.4ghz processor for the same price as the older one NOW! i feel betrayed because i wouldve happily waited a month for it and if they were like any other company i wouldve known 2 months ago because any other company wouldve announced such a big change months prior to release, but not apple they have to 'surprise' and 'wow' windows users just for momentum by announcing something a mere week before release to give super high excitement levels. i feel really angry i got my 2.2ghz so close to the 2.4ghz models. i guess this how guys who bought the 2.0ghz models close to the 2.2s felt. i feel really sorry for them. i hope apple stop being attention grabbing GUYs and stop this crap before i see a new 2.6ghz model being released this november with no CLUE OR idea about it.

No companies announce upgrades to existing products and you are a perfect example of why. Modest increases in processor speed and larger hard drives do not qualify as big changes. They are incremental upgrades to existing products to stay competitive.

Let's just pretend that they do announce this type of change in advance. What would you have done if they announced the upgrade the day after you bought yours? Should they announce the announcement? There is no way to avoid this situation.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Plus that's a lot of nonsense. Have seen these ramblings all too many times.

I have never seen any computer manufacturer make an announcement that "Our existing line up will be updated in 30 - 45 days. So, don't buy one of our computers right now." That's a lot of hooey.

I defy anyone to show me an announcement by Dell, HP, Alienware, etc. where they are giving you 1) an advance 30-45 day notice of upgrades to their existing machines and 2) listing the price at the same price point as their current line up.

Hardware manufacturers give notice of new devices being released. Hard drives, optical drives, processors, video cards, etc. Even most of these are for advanced media hype prior to their release to generate sales upon release.

But the companies that put all this hardware together building computers? Go on, show me, prove me wrong that every other computer manufacturer does this and I'll take it all back.

Good thing you folks weren't buying computers 10-15 years ago. Back then processors were doubling in real world speed by 100% every 9-12 months. Every computer purchased was outdated and a piece of trash within about a year after you bought it if you wanted to play the new game that just came out.

Today's computers, while still receiving nice little bumps in processing power (2.2 to 2.4 equates to maybe a 6-8% real world speed) and hard drive space, will last most everyone at least 3-4 years.

Up front, I apologize. But this was just one too many of these posts for me.

Reaction score
You were fortunate enough in January to have this site as well as many, many rumor sites (mac-rumors, appleinsider, etc.) at your disposal that would have told you a new model was due out very soon - you didn't bother to do your research? Companies like Dell, Sony, etc., don't have such reliable rumor sites and info from those companies rarely get leaked, so as an Apple consumer, if you had informed yourself enough, you would have known that an update was very imminent (it was actually due out in late January, but got pushed 4 weeks due to the release of the MBA).

Seriously dude, it's not worth it to stay upset - just enjoy your new MB and be lucky that you are fortunate to get ANY computer, unlike the millions in the world who live in poverty, opression, etc. Even if you had waited for the new model, you'd be saying probably 2 years from now "yea, I gotta get rid of this piece of junk, there's so much better stuff out now." It happens to everyone. I got the new Penryn MBP, and the DAY I OPENED THE BOX, there was a few postings on mac-rumors.com about how the next MAJOR update will come in June - with a redesigned case, possibly better keyboard, and possibly Blu-Ray. But I can't see waiting that long for something that will be outdated in 2 years time anyway. So even if you had gotten the new Penryn model, you'd be facing the same feelings you are now in June...a delay of 3 months. Big deal.

Just find comfort in knowing that no matter what model you buy, and no matter what time you buy it, it will be a worthless outdated piece of junk over the course of time. This is a GOOD thing, because it means technological progress which benefits us all.

It's not just you. I have a friend who baby's his laptop like it's his infant first-born. Wipes it down every day, dusts it every day, makes sure to wash his hands before he uses it, never takes it off his desk unless it's absolutely necessary (it's a desktop replacement to external monitor). I was telling him the other day, "dude, why don't you just use the thing so 2 years from now when you're selling it to get the latest and greatest that at least you can say you got some good use out of it for 2 years?" A computer with 2 year old technology that is clean and without scratches is worth a lot less than you'd think...In short: don't value any particular model too much, because it WILL be worthless in short order.
Stop browsing these forums and rumor sites - go use your laptop!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I bought my PS3 a day before they released a new model... big whoop I got over it. The processor change won't make a noticeable difference and you can just buy a 100 gig external HD to make up for the memory... there you go problem solved, get over it. And since when did other companies like dell or sony announce that they were going to update their products months before it happened? They don't but their are plenty of rumors around the net so do your research before you buy.

Reaction score
Also, what about the people who bought the product 2 days before Dell ANNOUNCED the new line up?!? then what?!? they're in the same boat as you... just on a dell forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I bought our Macbooks a year ago. Second generation C2Ds, one black, ne white. Since then mine has grown another gig of ram, and I've upgraded the HD to one twice what came with it, along with installing Leopard. In the meantime Macbooks

Got a number of processor bumps.
Total RAM went from 2 to 4 gig.
I *think* they got LED lit screens, but I might be thinking MBP.
Shipped with larger drives, with same price.
Shipped with more RAM, same price.

I barely noticed. Why? Because my Macbook does everything I want it to with what it has. Screen's bright, I've updated my RAM and HD to my liking, and it's still a speedy, compact, capable portable computer that runs Mac OS X. My wife is even more blissfully ignorant of Apple updates. She's fine with her Tiger, 1 gig ram, and paltry 120gig drive (that she barely uses 25% of with what she's doing.)

I suppose I'd like to have that LED screen, but perhaps by the time this screen's bulb goes TU Applecare will only be able to replace it with an LED one. Or by then it'll be time for me to get the new gee-whiz model they'll have by the time my Applecare runs out in two years.

Reaction score
Hey,

I disagree with the people that have blamed you above - true technology moves fast, and the way Apple does things is gutting - that's because Apple create a huge fuss about everything, were it Sony/HP or another company, they would have subtly updated the specs on their website without the hype, so I guess you just notice it more with Apple.

I had my MBP delivered 10 days ago - and now I can get 80GB more space, a better processor and that multitouch stuff for the same price, oh and a 'better' screen. Obviously, I could have exchanged mine (within 14 days) for the new one but I didn't bother - too much hassle and too long to go without this baby!

I thought over it for ages, and in the end got £60 refunded (for free, I still keep the MBP). Now, it's nothing really but I thought about the things they were giving me...

200GB HDD as opposed to 120GB, I've so far used 60GB, of which around 22GB is just a backup.
The screen, well everyone's saying great things about the new one, but when I first got this MBP, my reaction was 'Wow, this screen is 10 times better than that Vaio's (my dad's got a vaio)...'
The Processor? Now, this is something I would have liked, not because it's the latest but because I've heard it's not as hot - this one is gonna give me serious burns!!

The best way is to detach yourself from the new stuff, and just learn Apple's like that!

Oh and those guys that said about reading apple rumour forums...not that much use, I held out for a few months and they released it a few days after I bought mine...bad timing or what!

OP
S
Reaction score
No companies announce upgrades to existing products and you are a perfect example of why. Modest increases in processor speed and larger hard drives do not qualify as big changes. They are incremental upgrades to existing products to stay competitive.

Let's just pretend that they do announce this type of change in advance. What would you have done if they announced the upgrade the day after you bought yours? Should they announce the announcement? There is no way to avoid this situation.

that is different because:
1. the buyer isnt an inconsiderate idiot. sure he'll feel bad but he'll acknowledge the fact that that the company warned buyers and wont be ranting about it. remember, apple didnt warn us.
2. he wouldnt feel as bad if he bought his machine 2 months prior to thier release rather than someone who bought it 2 weeks before.
3. i dont know if it counts but sony announced a very good ps3 bundle thats coming in JUNE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The silliness of threads like this makes me laugh. Can't you just be happy with what you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
The silliness of threads like this makes me laugh. Can't you just be happy with what you have?

Agreed, you've got what you've got complaining to us is gunna do what...
anyway enjoy it or do whatever you want with it but that is what you have and their is nothing you can do about it... except complain of course lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Good thing you folks weren't buying computers 10-15 years ago. Back then processors were doubling in real world speed by 100% every 9-12 months. Every computer purchased was outdated and a piece of trash within about a year after you bought it if you wanted to play the new game that just came out.

Saddly I was ;)

mab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.11
I think everyone, to a degree, gets a little bit envious when updated products come out. However, like earlier posters mentioned, technology moves forward very quickly.

I remember waiting and waiting before purchasing my first iPod only to find an updated model came out a few weeks after I made the leap.

For the last few weeks, I've been debating whether to upgrade my 2.0GHz Macbook to Leopard. I was out of town this last week without internet access and didn't know about the new Macbooks until I walked into the Apple store yesterday to buy Leopard. I was also debating forking over the bucks for Applecare since my Macbook's 1st birthday is March 14th. I have to admit, for a moment I thought about purchasing the latest and greatest, and selling my Macbook (which I was very happy with until I walked into the store). Then I realized the product I currently own more than meets my needs. Okay, my wife helped me come to this realization, but still...

While new technology is great, it is sort of like investing for the long term. Jump in when you're ready, buy the best you can at the best price, then stop looking, unless you like to torture yourself.

The last thing I'll say is at least you have a forum like this one where you can vent among other enthusiasts. Don't feel too beat up by the others getting on you - after all, you asked for it by complaining to us Mac believers! Enjoy what you have until it no longer meets your needs, then upgrade.

Reaction score
RIGHT after (the next day), I bought my iMac G3...they updated the Mac Pros.
HOW FRUSTRATING!
I spent thousands of dollars on my iMac assuming it would be the fastest computer out there, but noooooo, APPLE had to go replace it after only SIX YEARS!
;)

I can't even start on how stupid that was.....oh and i don't know if they really did update the Mac Pros, just sorta made that up.

But, I will do one thing.

(Gets out violin)

UNBREAK MY HEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT,
SAY YOU LOVE ME AGAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN,
UNDO THIS HURT THAT YOU CAUSED WHEN YOU
UPDATED THE MACBOOKS,
AND YOU WRECKED MY LIFE!
UNCRY THESE TEARSSSSSSSSSSSSS,
I CRIED RIGHT OUTSIDE THE APPLE STORE.

All right, i'll admit it.....i'm a general weirdo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.