• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Error During Rendering/Encoding iDVD8 and Garageband

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro with OS Leopard, 2Gb, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, iWork 08, iMovie08, iDVD08, Garageband, and an external Verbatim hard drive. Using imovie08 I have edited old videos that I brought in with a DV camera, have shared the finished movie project with the Media Browser, put chapters using the Garageband, and am now trying to make a DVD. All my media files, except the photos that I have used in the Garageband chapters, are on the main (local) drive. First I received the message: "Exceeds maximum content duration. Change the encoder setting in the Project Information Window". I did that by unchecking "Auto Normalize" in the Garageband preferences. When I sent the movie to iDVD it started the rendering process, asked me to insert the DVD disk (4.7 GB) which I did, continued to render for a few minutes and then stopped with the message: "Error during rendering/encoding". It then brings the Finders screen which asks me to eject or use another finder file. I have tried the help section and also the Apple's forums but have not found an answer as to what causes the error and how may I resolve it. I will appreciate whatever help I can get so that I can finish the project. I may add that this is my first Apple computer (I have had atleast six PCs in the past and have presently two that I use all the time) and I purchased the Apple specifically for its reputation as a very good video editing and publishing computer. So far the editing part is very good and much better than the window based editors I have used, but I am stumped by the error messages that do not offer me any advice on their solutions.

Jagadish
March 1, 2008

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.