Question about mixers on Mac mini

Reaction score
Hey

In these days I'm about to make a little recording studio on my mac.
I have A Yamaha MIDI keyboard, Digital audio System, and Logic pro 7.

I want to connect an electric guitar, Keyboard and microphones.

Do I need a sound card? mixer?
(Will MG 10/2 work on my mac?)

(Sorry but I'm new in those things)

Thanks for helpers!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
does your mixer have USB/firewire 400?

If not, then you need some way to get quality sound to the computer. See this thread for more info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't look like the mixer has USB or firewire outs. The edirol should work, but you might check out this thread on apple.com forums to figure out compatibility issues.
They have some suggestions for products there too.

Also, the edirol only has stereo jack inputs. You would have to run your instrument to the mixer then stereo cables from the mixer to the edirol.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, but what is "MAC OS X Classic environment"?
How do I know if I have this or not?

(I don't want to buy it if it wont work...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You aren't running classic... You would know it. I think it's just for people running older mac applications that won't run on OSX...

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems like there will be no problem.
I have another question for you...
When the edirol and the mixer will be connected, Will the Logic Pro 7 recognize them automatically?
Or will I have to install them manually?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
looks like this guy had success, so you should be safe...

Just make sure you go into Garageband preferences and change the audio in (and out if you want) to your device.
You will also have to get rca cables to go from the mixer to the edirol. You could also just get quarter inch cables that convert to RCA.

Looks like you are good to go!

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh, the rca cables are not the problem...
Thanks, if I'll have more questions I will ask here,
now I'm going to sleep.

Thanks! :):):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If you get a usb/firewire mixer, you don't have to purchase a sound card.

Personally, firewire is the way to go. USB allows data to either travel to the computer or from the computer at one time, where as firewire allows data to travel back and forth at the same time. Latency could become an issue with multiple inputs recording and larger projects.

I run an analog/digital converter like the MOTU 828MKII and then a mixing board, a Mackie. I did this so if I wanted to upgrade boards or inputs, I don't have to find another board that has a usb/fw connection and can just run it through my converter. It's a lot more expensive, but convenient in the end. Then again, I'm recording drums with 7 & 8 microphones in some sessions, so I need a setup that can handle a bit more than say, recording single inputs at a time.

EDIT: Important! OS X requires drivers. Don't expect whatever you buy to be able to be plugged in and automatically recognized. This may or may not happen, but these devices come with CD's with the drivers/programs on them if it doesn't work.

Reason I mention this as important as OS X didn't recognize my MOTU as even plugged in until the drivers were installed and MOTU is 75% an Apple OS company. Plus once you get everything installed, you'll probably have to switch the sound device in the prefrences/sound menu for OS X (not the recording program...)

OP
D
Reaction score
OK...
Do you think it should be worked perfectly with my Logic Pro 7 ?

(I didn't tell you that my mac mini built-in speakers are connected to my "aiwa" digital audio system.
Is it OK??)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
OK...
Do you think it should be worked perfectly with my Logic Pro 7 ?

(I didn't tell you that my mac mini built-in speakers are connected to my "aiwa" digital audio system.
Is it OK??)

What works well is just run RCA's from your board to the CD/AUX in on a home theatre receiver and use your stereo for speakers. You'll have a better dynamic range than using PC speakers.

There's no way to know unless you find some one with the same exact setup. I'm sure it will, but I'm not going to tell you 100% yes.

Reaction score
OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, I know this...
but I don't know what to do with the mac mini's out put. (the green hole...)
Now it is connected to my aiwa audio system.
I have to leave it like this?
I want to hear all the sounds that come out of my mac, from the aiwa. (it has great speakers)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The output to your sound system should come from the mixing board. Easiest way would be to connect the two tape out RCA's to the CD/aux input of the receiver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Ok so the green "hole" will be empty?
(sorry that I'm stupid):)

Correct. When the FW/USB device is connected to your computer, it acts as a sound card with multiple inputs and outputs. You main outs in Logic should be set as main 1 and 2 on the board. Since the boards' mains are probably 1/4 cables and not RCAs, you'd have to get adapters or use the tape out on the board..

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh, thanks! :)
This is what I'm going to do:

1. I will connect the USB mixer into the mac.
2. The Output of the mixer will be connected to the aiwa with RCA cable.

That's it?

Edit:
When nothing is connected to the "green port", can I still hear sound from iTunes ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.