Making a song on Garage band....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2GB Macbook, White
Hi guys.

Looking to buy a mac book for my final year at uni this summer. I am into writing my own music etc and i was wondering if i would be able to input my guitar, drums and bass etc into garage band to make a track?

Would logic express 8 be better. All i want to do is make some tracks and put them on myspace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
Garageband should be fine for your purposes. You will need some sort of digital audio interface to plug in via USB or preferably firewire. Just plugging in to the mic jack on the computer probably won't cut it.
There are plenty of software instruments, effects, and loops in Garageband that sound pretty decent.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2GB Macbook, White
digital audio interface? whats that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
You need something to get sound from your instrument/microphone to the computer. This can be done a few different ways. Some are better than others.
Some microphones will allow you to plug straight into the microphone slot on your computer.... This does not produce very good sound quality though and will not work with some instruments.

If you want good quality then you need something that does a good job of getting sound to your computer. The cheapest product that has really good quality is the Mackie Onyx Satellite. Do a google search and you should find many sites selling them. If you look hard you can find it for as low as $170. (The one I use is $1600 so 170 isn't bad) It is firewire which is ideal.
They have been discontinued but it seems there are plenty around still.

I'm sure others will have opinions on Dig Aud Interfaces... Hopefully they will chime in!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.