how to keep cd tracks in order when importing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2019, apple watch 5, iphone 11 pro max, ipad pro 12.9 inch 2nd gen. air pods, numerous
hi. i know there is probably an easy solution but this is driving me crazy! i'm importing all my music cds via itunes so that i can send them to my lifedrive and play them in my car. problem is, half the tracks end up separated from the album. why is this happening? eg. the album might have 16 tracks. when you go to album view, tracks 4 to 14 may be where they should be, with the titled cd, track 1 and track 2 are in separate spaces and now look like a separate album, and tracks 15 and 16 are situated together and look like another, separate album. i can't work out how to get them back in order. i've even deleted the whole lot and re-imported the cd but the same thing happens :-(
hope somone can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
One cause of this is when tracks have different Album info in the mp3 tag

Are all the track names/artist name/album name being retrieved online?

Try select all the tracks and re-typing the album name manually

OP
Starzz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2019, apple watch 5, iphone 11 pro max, ipad pro 12.9 inch 2nd gen. air pods, numerous
oops!

sorry, just looked in itunes via finder and everything is fine. it's when you click 'music' in itunes under 'library' (what am i talking about?) that everything is all over the place

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have a couple of my albums that do this.

Especially multi-artist (compilation) CD's that are not available on iTunes. Several old blues and early Americana music CD's have all pretty much exhibited this issue.

Have had it where the Album name did not import identically in all tracks. Highlight the whole group and input it yourself.

And a couple of them have put in the track # ... 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.; but not the track # of... that is 1 of 16, 2 of 16...
Filling in that 2nd box has put them all back together in Cover Flow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.